D2 cab mounts

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:38 am

D2 cab mounts

Pulled the cab from the frame of a '39 D2 express... and have questions regarding the cab mount cushions...
The Cab's original front mounting pads removed are 1/8th thick square (soft) reinforced fiber/rubber material... The replacement cab mounting pads, which I got from Outback, are 1/2 thick round rubber....
The rear mounting pads consist of a square rubber piece fitted inside the "U" shaped metal strap fixed to the bottom of the cab floor.... this rubber piece acts as a crush tube of sorts... there was no soft pad/cushion mounted between the base of these straps and the chassis... I was expecting similar material as on the front.... again, the replacement cushion from Outback is the same 1/2 inch rubber mount as the front....
The MT-38 parts manual doesn't illustrate these cab mounting pads, and only lists the cab's rear mounting pad, page 169, p/n 64771 H.
My concerns are that if I use the Outback replacement mounts, I will raise the cab by some dimension, and have hood/grill alignment issues...

Any guidance/opinions welcome

PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:11 am

Re: D2 cab mounts

You'd just have to adjust the space between the rad support and frame, no big deal.
I've put a D-2 on a Nissan Frontier frame, you can imagine the adjusting going on.
But it all works out fine.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: D2 cab mounts

Tks smog_guy for your input.... I was hoping to get replies from other D owners that had pulled their cabs to see what issues they encountered.. to me the apparent oversize of the cushions isn't that much a big deal, but am contemplating possible issues that may arise, such as hood/fender/grill alignment and potential steering column/dash bracket mounting....
PMH

Return to 1940 and Older