Inter 101 truck

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Inter 101 truck

Hi, I have just written a brief introduction re my interest in find parts for our derelict 1923? model 101 International truck and uploaded a photo and now seem to have lost the page so am reposting ( frustrating when things disappear). I come from Adelaide in South Australia and about 40 years ago my brothers and I paid $10 for a derelict rolling chassis and engine of what we thought was a 1924 Inter truck. It seems that perhaps the truck is a 1923 model 101 and we need to find body and cab parts and need to repace the timber wheels. We have the a model 43 engine radiator and fire wall and did buy another wrecked engine similar to ours. Our truck has overhead valves and a gear driven fan which in my travels is not common. I would like to hear from anyone who has a similar model or who may be interested to help. Thanks John Magarey
Our Inter 056.jpg
Our 101 engine
Attachments
Nobby's truck2.JPG
The 101 in 1970

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Re: Inter 101 truck

Welcome John, If you posted up before December 24th last year, it is all gone, Love hackers, NOT. I am moving this to the Pre 40's section, you will get more help and action on that area. I will leave a "shadow" here for awhile.

Lloyd Admin

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 am

John That is a nice looking 101 truck. You have quite a restoration ahead. The serial number is stamped in the left frame on the outside near the front of the truck.

If it were mine I would remove the head and see what the cylinders look like. Usually one cylinder is rust because a valve was open and let water in that cylinder. To do anything with the motor you need to get the engine to turn over. I use a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a wire wheel that fits in the cylinder. When the rust is removed put some penetrating oil or diesel fuel in the cylinder. Use a round hard wood timber that fits in the cylinder and hit the timber with a large hammer. Use cylinders that are half way down and alternate cylinders as they rock the crankshaft forward and back.

The bonnet you might have one made or copied by a panel beater. You might find The bed (tray) at a trucking company that they took off an old truck. Trevor will tell you where to get the wheels worked on. Jim

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 pm

John

Welcome to the forum and to our friendly little group we have.

I am a fellow Australian and live about 8 hours East of you in Melbourne you have got an interesting project ahead of you.

What condition is the truck in now as you said the pictures are from 40 years ago, wooden wheels can be remanufactured at 2 place one is Soveriegn Hill in Ballarat and the other is in Toowomba Queensland, the solid rubber tyre can be done at Tyrelug in Sunshine/Melbourne or Big Wheels in Toowomba They are not cheap to have my 4 wheels done i am looking at nearly 10k. New steel panels can be made by Old era Services in NSW but you will need a sample or very good pictures with sizes.

Have you got any of the parts books or manuals for your truck.

Good luck on the journey and make sure to post lots of pictures.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am

Friend You have the rarest of the rare! According to the Gray book, there were 12 model 101's produced in 1922 and 15 produced in 1923, for a total production of 27 model 101's. Engine and Transmission were the same as it's predecessor the L. Model 101 listed for $3600 in the spring of 1922. 283 cubic inch 4 cylinder 28.9 Horsepower could manage 14 mph at 1100 rpm. Gravity fed Ensign Model D carb. Frame was largest in the IH fleet at 8" depth and 7 crossmembers. Brown and Lipe number 50, four speed transmission.

Since it was a refinement of the Model L with improvements to ignition and gear ratios and the scarcity of the 101 best bet is to look for Model L's for parts source or photos and dimensions. We will be anciously awaiting the unveiling of the new 101 when your done.
Mike Miller 1917 Model F and others

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 am

Hi All,
Thanks for your interest in our project. Having made the claim that we may have a model 101, I checked some dimensions and found that the chassis rails and springs were the same as the model G and our wheel base was 164 while the G was 160 inches.
Our engine has a gear driven pressed metal fan while another wreck we have has an aluminium fan with the radiator behing the motor. Our engine is an overhead valve type and has a Wheeler Schubler carby and a 3 speed transmission.
We have the numbers 7967-TA cast onto the block behind the carby.
The left hand front spring hanger has 8531HA cast into it. Our truck has a bronze corner casting each side of the front cross member while the other wrecked truck front section has neat looking cast iron corner castings. I will attach a few pictures if possible. I appreciate you help, Regards John M
Goulburn Inter 050.jpg
A second similar engine similar
PS I am still learning how to post pictures so captions are not as I had planned
Last edited by jmagarey on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 pm

John

Very interesting, we need more pictures of your trucks wheels,suspension mainly rear,engine from all sides.

Your engine has similair characteristics to the engine in Merv Brunts truck but his radiator is in the front.
Attachments
P4280108.JPG
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 am

Need to look at the frame measurements. The Model G had channel 5 7/8" deep with 6 cross members, as stated previously the Model 101 and presumably the earlier L had a heavier channel with 7 crossmembers. The Model G had a 251 cid engine similar to your photo (the crankcase inspection round covers seem to be closer together) while the L and 101 had a larger 283 cid 4 cyl engine. The Model G had a 3 speed tranny the L-101 a 4 speed. More photos please. MM
(as with any international there may be differences within models)

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 am

Hi All, Have had a few problems getting decent photos as the truck is stored in shed with other gear stacked over it. Will get better photos in daylight rather then with the flash. I seem to have troubles uploading photos but will keep trying. Someone said that the model number of these trucks is stamped on top of the loadbearing rear axle shaft, is that true as I cannot see any place where the model number is located.
This truck looks very similar to the earlier models but it has the overhead valve motor with a gear driven fan, does any body know when this combination was used? One would think that this truck was made just before they went to the radiator in front of the engine models.
Thanks for your interest, Regards John M
Attachments
Goulburn Inter 051.jpg
the second Inter firewall
Last edited by jmagarey on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 am

John, if you can get your pictures on your computer, you should be able to upload them from there directly. If it tells you they are too big, then you will need to resize them with a photo manipulation program. I use "paint" that comes with windows.
Hope this helps some. The ones you have posted so far are working great.

Lloyd
Next

Return to 1940 and Older