bed vin tag

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:31 pm

bed vin tag

does anyone here know why my vin tag on the bed wouldn't match the vin tag on body and frame?

thanks
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:03 pm

Re: bed vin tag

It is just the serial number of the part (bed) not the truck. It is not a VIN which didn't come into being until later, like the 1980's before that there were chassie serial numbers.
The cab will also have a tag and that number will not match any of the other either.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:15 pm

thanks, I didn't even know one was there till I saw a video on YouTube and this guy said if all three matched your truck was all original. I guess I should know better.... I have scraped the paint off my bed tag, hope that doesn't bite me in the butt when I go to get vin verification to get the title... there is actually an old oil can where the firewall tag would be, think I'll leave it there. my frame and the tag on the running boards match.
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:16 pm

Removed. Not relevant.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 pm

unclejtl wrote:thanks, I didn't even know one was there till I saw a video on YouTube and this guy said if all three matched your truck was all original. I guess I should know better.... I have scraped the paint off my bed tag, hope that doesn't bite me in the butt when I go to get vin verification to get the title... there is actually an old oil can where the firewall tag would be, think I'll leave it there. my frame and the tag on the running boards match.

Never will they match.
The serial tag with the engine and chassie number, the chassie should match the frame by the front spring hanger.
It was practice in some states to "title off the engine number" both my K's are done that way. Big hassle to change it but the tag, the chassie and the engine number are what they are, so the title with the engine number matches the engine and the engine number on the tag matches and the chassie number on the tag with the engine number matches the frame, A way to prove everything is as it should be, you can't go back and "correct" what some state did (and claimed was correct back in the day).
I have a '48 where I was the third owner, the 2nd owner and the 1st were one and the same, A man bought it, and used in his business, The original title in his name had to be changed to his business then to me. It is titled off the the engine from the orignal to mine.

Return to 1940 and Older