C Series Dash question

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 27, 2021 8:01 pm

C Series Dash question

(36 C-30 Stake bed) Reassembly continues and I came across a conundrum. The C series dash has four smaller holes along the bottom, below the key hole. Anyone have a picture or know what fills the holes and the order. I'm sure one is for the electrical light switch. One is for the manual choke cable. One of the other holes had a manual pull cable also but I don't know what it was used for. It was a very short cable (shorter than the choke cable) and the knob is gone. My truck had/has no heater, no pto, nothing that I can think of. Wait, is the exhaust flap (for lack of a better term) have a manual cable operation? Thanks?

Oh, still looking for a steering drag link and don't waste your money on the ABS firewall pad. It is ill formed and has no flex and is not re-formable with a heat gun.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 29, 2021 10:54 am

Re: C Series Dash question

I have two "Instruction Books" for Model C-1. The first is dated May of 1934 and includes a depiction of 5 dash knobs. The second is dated Aug 1934 and only shows 4 dash knobs. The four from left to right are: L - lighting control; H - heat control; T - throttle control; and C - choke button.

Yes, the heat control is for a cable operated manifold heat control valve.

I had the opportunity to inspect an original 1936 unrestored C-1, and observed that the heat control cable passes through the firewall just below the oil pressure line. The throttle and choke cables share a firewall penetration near where the cab heater is mounted.
Attachments
dash diagram Aug 1934.jpg
dash diagram May 1934.jpg

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 30, 2021 1:40 am

Perfect. Thank you!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:50 pm

35-c1 or Anybody:
What was the fifth knob shown in the May 1934 manual for?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Brian,

the second attached photo shows the additional dash knob with an "S" and is labelled as spark control. It is referenced in the "TO START ENGINE" section; where it states: "See that the spark control button is pushed all the way in." This would be a cable connected to the distributor housing to adjust the spark timing as necessary to start, and then advance the timing for running. Not sure if the early distributors did not have centrifugal or vacuum advance??

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:05 pm

35-c1:

Ahh, now I see it in the pic you posted. Makes sense, my '35 has just the four holes and vacuum advance. Thanks!

Brian

Return to 1940 and Older