Brake Shoe Relining

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Brake Shoe Relining

Anyone know of a shop that relines old brake shoes?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Re: Brake Shoe Relining

Ask at a local heavy truck parts suppliers, they will know of them in your area.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Boy could tell you a story about this one. Where are you located? I would deduce maybe AZ? I do mine myself, but there is a fleet truck place over in Portland Oregon that can do them for you along with clutch linings. I can pull that info for you if needed. There is a guy on ebay that sells linings and he has been doing this kind of work for over 40 years. He's in Florida and I can pull that info up if you need to go that way. The key thing you need to know is: Just having new lining put on doesn't always work. You have to have the equipment (I have it) to arc in the shoes once relined. Arcing "in" refers to grinding or sanding the new shoes to the correct arc to fit your drums.

If you can't find a place. It might be cost prohibitive but you can send them to me (PNW) and I'll do them for you. I'm not fast, but I'm **** good and I'll make sure they are right.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Hey..thanks for the post-reply. At first I wondered why you thought I was located in AZ. then I realized "Mojavejim ". I'm in Boise but grew up in the Mojave Desert East of Sierra Nevadas.
Anyhow, can you do the lining and the arcing? Or just the arcing? I purchased a full set of new shoes for my truck based on info others gave me here. In the past all parts I've bought based on this forum have worked real well. I'm not a mechanic at all but the guy who is doing the brakes for me says that the lining on the new shoes hits the drum. Is it possible that these shoes can be arced in?
I would be very interested in your help.
If you can do all, or part of the work I would be very interested in shipping them to you.
The truck is a 37 D2
If you prefer...my Email is jbgorrono@gmail.com
Thanks
Jim

Return to 1940 and Older