36 C-30 Trans Color

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm

36 C-30 Trans Color

Not that I'm going all period correct (and have no idea if trans is original). But doesn't anyone have an opinion on a T9 trans paint color? I have the HD flathead motor which was and is painted black. The trans I have shows signs of black but also shows signs of red. Thanks

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:55 am

Re: 36 C-30 Trans Color

The paint committee decision number 94 ...dated 16 April 1934 seems to indicate that "Engine clutch and transmission" were painted black. This is according to the attached link from the Wisconsin Historical Society.

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... 077/rec/10

My thought:

It seems to me that red paint was very prevalent at some point on all internationals of this era. I have seen several examples of 34-37 trucks with red paint...overtop of everything, not only body parts and mechanical components, but to include data plates, trim, etc. etc. I am curious about this red paint trend. Was there some point in time where the IHC competition with John Deere mandated the eradication of other colors...in particular green? If you brought your truck to the international dealer for service, did they offer a new red paint job at a discount?

My 1935 C1 was originally green, and evident on the inside of the cowl, underside of the hood, etc. and other places beneath a thick layer of red.

Return to 1940 and Older