Lycoming 4SL Engine Question

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Lycoming 4SL Engine Question

What are the options to fix a Lycoming 4SL engine with a scored cylinder wall? Are they sleeved? If not can they be bored? If so what are my options for oversized pistons and rings?

Thanks,
Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Re: Lycoming 4SL Engine Question

On a truck note what is a good price fro a running 4BT engine?
The Cummins 4bt is not a plentiful as it was 10 years ago, so the asking prices can get a little high. There was a running 4bt with a 2WD NVG4500 on Craigslist for $6000 and it sold in about an hour.
I paid $3550 for my 4tb as a not running core, in November of 2011. I had the injection pump rebuilt by NW Diesel for another $1400. I ran around $2000 parts and pieces through my account at Cummins. This totals out around $7000. This summer, I want to take the exhaust system off and have it ceramic coated for another $350.
My Cummins 4bt package includes a TH475 automatic and an NVG241c transfercase.
The question might be, Would I do this again? Probably, if I had a project for the engine. I bought and prepared this engine for a father/son L110, 4X4 project, but he became disinterested.
I suppose I might be talked into selling my 4bta, but I am not going to sell for less than I have into it. Then again, I don't mind having the little Cummins collect dust.
Cummins are offering a plug and play crate 2.8 liter engine. This new crate engine is only a little more than what I have into my 4bta.
https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
https://youtu.be/87WuczmOI6s
Attachments
4BTA TEST STAND.jpg
on a test stand
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT INJECTION.jpg
$1400 rebuild.
4BTA NEW STARTER.jpg
new starter
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Your engine choice will depend on how much room there is in the engine compartment. How much weight the front axle and frame can carry.
I have used air springs with Holland Neway leveling valves on a stock frame. I installed the airsprings directly under the motor-mounts.
If a person can fit a 6 cylinder Cummins "B" series (Dodge Ram) into a project, it has become the more economical option. I have seen a 24 valve, 5.9 "B" Cummins on Craigslist for sale for months when the asking price was $2000. This was for a running engine. The "B" series is around a 1000# with the 24 valve weighing a few hundred # more than the 12 valve.
My friend installs the 24 valve in 1952 "L" series IHC pickups. Of course he builds a custom frame and always uses 4X4. The 24 valve will just fit in an "L" IHC with no cutting to make extra room.
About 5 years ago, I got a low kilometer 24 valve for free and gave it to my friend MAGIHC Mike.
Attachments
cummins 24 valve.jpg
CUMMINS 24 VALVE BRINGING IT HOME.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks,
I just think that would be a neat swap but I really prefer stock trucks. And I have too many if that is possible. I just saw a 4BT with a trans in Seattle come up for I think it was for $3500 and it seemed to be cheap. Seems like a smaller engine would be more practical for a conversion unless you you putting it in a bigger truck like a KB8 or bigger. I thought that I saw or heard that you had done a conversion with one. Will they fit in a KB1-5? I have enough projects at the momemnt but just curious when I saw that one come up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm

What would make me stand up and take notice at an old truck show, in the modified category, would be a GRD or BLD with port injection and a turbo. I've seen one RED that was done that way. Like Nikki's Ford, not easy or cheap, but sure would get my respect.
One thing about the Lyc to watch for, and I have no personal experience, but have read on this board, that they used die-cast pot metal for the oil pump and they are easily damaged. There was someone who was working on fitting a late model Chevy pump to one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Those di-cast oil pumps were prone to dissolving in contaminated lube oil. Regular maintenance was absolutely necessary.
Old bad ideas do not get better over decades.
( $3500 usd is $4667 Canadian.)

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Any pictures of this turbo, port injected GRD? I'd like to see that.
What is the highest possible compression you can get out of a naturally aspirated GRD by milling the head and/or block? I'm sure there is a limit due to the resulting air flow restriction of the valves. A blower or turbo seems like a natural addition to a flathead engine to overcome this problem.
1939 IH Panel Truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 pm

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hamilton ... tVQdsJIAYM
The Eaton M90 superchargers are easy to find at auto recyclers. I have one on my 1940 Ford Flathead V8 along with EFI.
The Ford Thunderbird SC used this supercharger. It was common on some Pontiac models.
Attachments
EATOM M92.jpg
Charge air duct left.jpg

Return to 1940 and Older