D-15 Removing Steering Box

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:25 pm

D-15 Removing Steering Box

Have most everything off and out of the cab, getting ready to remove. Not sure how to go about removing steering box. Should I pry/hit the pitman arm off after removing the big nut? I removed the four bolts where the input shaft goes into the box. It slides up an inch or two but not out. Should I unbolt the four bolts on the back side of the box first, in order to remove the column? Remove the steering wheel first? The hub in the middle of the steering wheel is kinda smashed in. Should I pry off first.

Any help appreciated; never tackled steering column or box removal before.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Re: D-15 Removing Steering Box

you want to remove the whole steering column, you disconnect at dash, remove floorboard section, remove nut on pitman, use a puller to remove arm, remove bolts holding box to frame, and fish the thing out,

you don't need to dis-assemble to remove,

if you want to dis-assemble steering box, it is easier to service if you remove it, then you should look at the service bulletins that this site links to, for proper service/re-assembly
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: D-15 Removing Steering Box

Thanks bedrock,

I have had floorboard out and column ready to disconnect. Will disconnect pitman and remove box.

Did not see a link for steering box service/rebuild. Can you let me know where it is.

Thanks again.

Return to 1940 and Older