1935 C1 lug bolts/nuts

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 pm

1935 C1 lug bolts/nuts

My 1935 C1 has "right hand" thread lug bolts all the way around. As I am pursuing an authentic restoration, can anyone tell me if this is correct? I was expecting to see left hand thread lugs on the drivers side, as per my experience with other vehicles of this vintage. Can any of the C1 owners provide some info on what would be factory correct? How about the correct lug nut size? Thanks!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: 1935 C1 lug bolts/nuts

All of the studs on the C-1 I have, front and back axle, are right hand threads. The lug nuts are 7/8th".

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Same with my C-1.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 pm

To clarify: 7/8" is the size of the lug wrench that fits them. The THREAD size is 1/2"-20. Any decent auto parts store should have them in stock. Good luck with your restoration 35 C-1, I am rebuilding a similar truck. Mine has the long pickup box and 18' wire wheels, and is mostly complete. The biggest item I am missing are the rear fenders. If your C-1 has them you are ahead of the game.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks very much for the informative replies.

Based on your feedback, my '35 is now in good shape for lug bolts/nuts.

Mine is also a long wheelbase model pickup with the wire wheels. I have rear fenders, but they have been cut off at the bottom edge of the bed...as I have seen in several examples of these trucks...

Mine 35 is also very complete, but I am in search of hubcaps, dash knobs, radiator cap, tail light and crank hole trim. I am also hoping to find upgrades for rear fenders, passenger running board and bumper bracket.

Best wishes on your restorations.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

35c-1:
Like yourself, along with the rear fenders, the other piece of "unobtanium" I need is the crank hole cover. I have a complete set of dinged-up hubcaps, but one is especially scabby and I'd like to find a better one. They do come up on ebay occasionally, but tend to run $100 apiece or more.
For the tail light, I plan to use a generic metal unit (w/license plate bracket) that would be appropriate to the 30's, same for the radiator cap. The bumper brackets should be easy to fabricate. Dash knobs? No idea, other than to machine some out of aluminum or hard plastic.

Good Luck!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm

As it turns out, I am having difficulty locating anyone selling lug nuts with threads 1/2"-20 and 7/8" lug wrench size. If anyone knows of a source for these, please reply! Thanks.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 pm

I would give Summit racing a call. They have or can find just about anything. Rock auto might be another source. Speedway motors always seems to have some hard to find items also.

Also, on the rear fender issue. Ebay is showing a repop set but they are specific for a chevy. Listing claims they are really close and can be adapted. I'd really really like a set but they are steep.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

I purchased a couple of 1/2-20 x 7/8" hex lug nuts from my local (non-chain) auto parts store. The store had been in business since the '50s and the nuts were were stocked in the now-vintage orange "Dorman" drawer bins. I would also think a NAPA dealer could at least order them.

About eight years back I contacted "Pappy" (R.I.P.) in the Midwest (Missouri?) about rear fenders and hubcaps. He did not have fenders to sell, but said that '37 Ford fenders were close. I have since purchased a right rear fiberglass repro Ford fender. It looks ok, but I am still holding out for finding a pair of steel fenders in reasonable shape, so I may not ever use it. With the current "ratrod" craze, it seems that there should be some on the market, as many of those guys go for the open fendered look.

Pappy also had some hubcaps that were NEW for about $50 each, but they were plain caps that had a triple diamond logo sticker on them. I imagine that these plain hubcaps are still available through various vintage parts sources and are meant to fit the Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels of the period.

Return to 1940 and Older