brake drum bolts?

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

Re: brake drum bolts?

When the hub was assembled originally, it is likely the bolt was pressed into the drum while nut was run down. Wedge heads were different than "D" heads, which were retained by the ring in the drum. I still have some hubs with "D" head bolts. In both cases it is difficult to remove without some pressure on the head to keep it from spinning/hogging out what retains it in the drum.
Likely the orignal thought was they were "single use" and would be cut off when the drum was replaced. Ideally, you would have the hub in an arbor press and have the press on the back of the bolt while the nut was removed. I have reused the bolt by placing a bar pushing on the head while the nut was removed.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:51 am

I had read somewhere here about these spinning when loosened, so I was more cautious taking these off than I would have been. As much as I wanted to use it (these things were tight!) I left the impact wrench in the cabinet. Most of the bolts came off without slipping. A few were much more "challenging". On these, the end of the bolt was hammered over to keep the nut from working loose. I finally got them off by tapping some wedges under the nuts to keep the bolts locked into the hub. I'd get maybe an 1/8th of a turn and then have to tap them in further to keep the tension on as the nut loosened. It was slow, but worked.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Visually your hubs and drums, pictured, look identical to my C-30. Only the spring pack looks bigger and possibly the drum width. I wouldn't know without measurements. As far as being an aftermarket drum. All IHC hubs and drums that I have come across have a cast in IHC symbol and a cast in part number. I know you said you are not after a concours restoration so I'm kind of beating on a dead horse here. But in case someone is looking for information later they might stumble around here. I do know that this site https://travelallparts.com/Brake_Drum_B ... _15/p17423 Lists two sizes. A 14" and a 15". There could be a difference in design but I'm skeptical. I actually ordered some of these and they were available. Also, hard to find bolt hardware can sometimes be located from these guys http://vancouverbolt.com/. It's my semi close to local guys (no affiliation) and you may have something similar in your area. Anyway, good luck and keep it coming. I'm hoping to have a bunch of video posted soon that will be helpful to maybe someone along with the run up of my HD motor before I put it back in the frame.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm

More good information! Yup, it may not help me at this point but it may help someone else down the line. And now that you mention it, yes, my drums do have the IHC and the PN cast into the drum somewhere, so they should be IH parts. I had forgotten about that.

My 36 C40 has 16" x 3" rear drums (IH PN 48830HX) instead of the 15" drums at the link you listed (too bad, mine are marginal). The 48830HX is correct according to the C40 parts manual. I don't know why that would matter for the groove, though. It seems like the mount would be the same unless the bolts were different (wedge head bolts versus "D" bolts like CB89 mentioned?). Just another puzzle, I guess.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older