Well that was a learning experiance

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 am

Well that was a learning experiance

Have the flathead almost all back together and decided I'd put it on my run stand first before putting it back in the frame. Just about to button up the bottom end, fabbed up some mounts for the stand. Took one last look at everything and low an behold a minor problem rears its ugly head. When I took everything apart I noticed that if you stand the crank up for storage on its end.

Can anyone guess where this is going?

The bolts are inserted from the crank throw side in to the flange and extend back into the flywheel. When you stand it up. Some of the bolts can come loose from there seating in the flange. Which then throws the crank in to a tip over predicament. So instead, I pulled all of the bolts so the crank can rest solely on its flange.

How about now, anyone got this figured out yet?

Well, after assembling the lower end. Installing the crank, rods and pistons, and main caps. Spending a ton of time getting the safety wire back in place. Somebody realizes that he needs to put the crank flange bolts back where they belong.

Surely somebody can see this train coming by now.

Yup, had to cut the safety wire again and remove the rear main cap. I don't care how rotate the crank or hold your tongue. No way, no how do you get the flange bolts back in were they belong without taking the main cap out. So now I'm back to where I was yesterday. But all is good. Its now just about re-ready for the stand. Just have to track down a couple bearings for the flywheel and relocate the bell housing bolts.

Lesson learned. Moving forward.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Well that was a learning experiance

Done stuff like that all the time. Transmissions are great for being a puzzle that will only assemble in the right order, and that is not always clear what the order should be.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2019 3:14 pm

I assisted on an 18 speed Fuller one time. Assembly order, as I remember, was important.
I prefer to build an automatic transmission I liked the WT and Allison. Voith, not so much.
I used to re&re a few 545 Allison's as a home shop business. :bashhead:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2019 5:22 pm

another guy with a KB did this and contacted me about it, only option is pull main cap, you are not alone
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to 1940 and Older