Any Advice???

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Any Advice???

Finally have a good block back from the machine shop and the cam is back from the grinder. All sorts of new parts are on hand for assembly. I've built a few different style of motors (but never an IHC grd L-6). Is there "ANYTHING" that someone has run in to that I should be looking out for? Or a good resource for this particular animal? I do have an original Motor's Manual. I would really rather avoid having to use any of those emoji's that are flashing at me on the right side of this page if I can help it.

I also updated the build page with a ton of stuff. Opinions are always excepted.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Any Advice???

You can turn the cave scratching (emojis) off. I do not know what the emojis have to do with good engine building. If you have a MOTORS MANUAL that may have all of the information you need, if that information is understood. There are necessary engine assembly tools. Do you have them and do you know how to use them?
I have to think having the machine shop assemble your engine may be a good idea. This is not a simple job and not for first timers. There are many situations that, if not done correctly will destroy the engine. Relying on a forum for helpful hints is one of the best ways to screw-up. If CB89 does not offer his advice, go back to the machine shop. This is not to say you cannot do the assembly, but, this is a big risk for an unexperienced person.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 am

nikkinutshop -
The emoji comment has to do with me needing to come back and explain my failure because I forgot something simple like checking the crankshaft end play or some such thing. I don't want to show slamming my head in to a wall to explain how I made a dumb mistake that could have been avoided because I failed to ask. I do have a pretty good grasp on engine building and can weed through the snake oil ideas that seem to crop up. I just wanted to humbly check in with a bunch of great people that have a background in the same subject area I'm dealing with. I appreciate your comments and respect your position and I agree that it is not something just anyone should tackle. I have a brother that I wouldn't let hold a screwdriver. :smash: But he has other attributes in other areas which makes him useful to society. :whistling2:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I don't want to show slamming my head in to a wall

There is no rule that you have to display your "short-comings". If you really screw it up, do not say anything. Buy and install an SBC and be done with it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 am

What year and engine is it? i have a book for the Green Diamonds engines.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 am

I think there are a lot of different references but it is a 1936 flathead -6 and I've heard it referred to as a grd, a green diamond, an hd213 thru hd233 and an overland willy's flat head. Do you know if the book is available in print anywhere? Is there an ISBN number? Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am

I dont think its in print, i can scan stuff for you this evening.
Last edited by brighad on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:08 pm

That would be very much appreciated. I hope to start the rebuild very soon. Just waiting on some material to make the soft plugs out of. What can I do for you? I can PM you an email address. Thanks again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Sorry, i took my book out and its for the 50's SD-220 and SD-240 Silver Diamond engines and the R-6586 engine. I sent you PDF's, maybe the specs would be close or at least a guide. I used it to tear apart and reassemble my 1926 Lycoming 6 cyl engine. I found it handy for the torq specs.

Hope it helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 pm

The 1930's books i have are for the parts numbers only.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older