upgrading from 6 volt to 12 volt; 213 flathead six

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:04 pm

upgrading from 6 volt to 12 volt; 213 flathead six

So I'm updating from 6 volt to 12 volt and currently plan to replace the ignition coil with a 12v coil that has an internal resistor and replacing the generator with a GM 10SI 120 amp alternator.

Also any advice on the distributor parts I plan to order: a bluestreak DR-50X condensor, contact set-ignition standard DR-2227P, DR-413 cap, and DR-158 rotor.

For the oil filter/sock, I've read the WIX-51011 is a good replacement(?)

Anyone experience any issues with any of the above? I'm definitely open to any advice!

Thanks,

Curt

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: upgrading from 6 volt to 12 volt; 213 flathead six

1st, I forget the 120 amp alternator, The old wide belt will be lucky to carry a 37 amp alternator (double the watts of the orignal 30 amp 6 volt genny), without slipping or excessive load on the waterpump bearings. There is not need for more then 37 amp alternator on a simple old truck. A higher amp will not charge the battery any faster or better.
How are you planning on handleing the gauges and wiper motor?
I haven't tried one myself, but I would suggest something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161502823867?_t ... 723wt_1238
for six volt loads.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks corn on the alternator input. Any alternator specifics you'd recommend? For the gauges I was originally looking at the runtz voltage reducers but at almost $20 a pop I found these instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290968451444. Not sure how well they'll do but I thought I'd try them. If they don't work I'll try out the converter regulator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:18 pm

For what it is worth and on the off-chance that someone might like to know. The pulleys can be changed to a more modern narrow style. I bought the sizes I wanted at a local auto wrecker, aka recycler, and turned them to fit the IHC pulley centers which were turned down to act as drive flanges. On another engine, a Ford C69A Flat V8, I turned shaft adapters for the crank and water pumps then drilled and tapped Ford serpentine pulleys to attach them to the shaft adapters. The 1947 C69A runs a separate multi-grove serpentine belt for an Eaton M92 Supercharger.
While not for everyone, I suppose, If a person has a need for mild complication this is a nice entry level headache. A little bit of over the top stuff will take your Binder from, "Did you see that old truck?" to "come with me and have a look at what this guy did."
BTW: I bought two of thee Eaton Blowers for $300 at the auto wrecker. These huffers are off the Ford Thunderbird SC. If you decide to go this route, make sure you get the increasingly rare T'bird crank pulley. The pulley was worth as much as the blower.
Attachments
We herd that!.jpg
Take a look at this Binder
All Ford, really.jpg
All Ford, really
All Ford, really.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Flathead V8, Eaton M62.jpg
An Eaton Huffer with multi groove drive belt
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to 1940 and Older