Looking for my truck!

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Looking for my truck!

I hope this next life thing works out for you. I do not entertain that expectation.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Well I found the VIN number. If I had known the DMV could just look it up under my name I would have done it long ago. Somehow my father got his name added to the title, and I know he did it without me because it has his address and I never lived there. Anyway, I'm trying to see if police can run it to find out where it is. Getting closer anyway...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed May 20, 2015 11:06 pm

If you were a Minor when the "title" was put in your name, I believe most states would require the Parents name on it also and their address as well. Just a thought.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat May 23, 2015 1:29 am

Nice looking truck.
As to your original post. My 39 1/2 ton has the overload springs you mentioned. I'm no expert by far but my understanding is that the long bed 125" WB D2 had the overloads as an option. I think partway through 1940 the 125" WB became the 3/4 ton D15 and the D2 was just the 113" WB. Good luck with your 38 and I hope you are able to track down your 1940.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Actually the 38 (actually built in 37 after checking the serial number against the records) has the overload springs like the '40. Perhaps they were added later, don't know. Wish more records still existed from this period. I am missing the heater, so if anyone has an extra complete heater assembly I would be interested in that.

Forgot to post the VIN of my '40 model, it was 87370A. So if anyone has a 40 D2 I would appreciate them checking the number just by chance it may be the one I'm looking for. Tried to get the police to do a vin check but I guess there are rules against doing that so I will just have to keep looking. I hope that she is looking great and owned by someone that loves her like I did. But if I find that she hasn't been fixed yet, I would love the chance to get her back. Thanks again for everyones support and comments.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 pm

That looks like a real nice truck you found. I hope everything goes well on the restoration.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 24, 2015 10:52 am

I do not know about your state, but in Idaho, I can go down to the Department of Motor Vehicles and request a record of the Last Titled owner of a Vehicle using the Serial number. It does cost me a small amount of money and the information on the "record" they print out gives you the Name and last address that the vehicle was registered at. It is a crime to use this information to do other than contact the person BY Mail to communicate with them about the vehicle. I use this method when I am trying to locate last known owner of a vehicle. Sometimes it is about a vehicle I have acquired from a farmer off of a property(no title available) and also to find owner if someone leaves a vehicle on my property for an extended time.
You would go in(if it can be done in your state) with the "vin" and request a last know registered owner. You may need to try various combinations for the Vin. Others could give you a hint on how theirs is listed. Hope you do locate it. Build the one you have and enjoy it!
My thoughts only

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 pm

dehrlich wrote:Actually the 38 (actually built in 37 after checking the serial number against the records) has the overload springs like the '40. Perhaps they were added later, don't know. Wish more records still existed from this period. I am missing the heater, so if anyone has an extra complete heater assembly I would be interested in that.

Forgot to post the VIN of my '40 model, it was 87370A. So if anyone has a 40 D2 I would appreciate them checking the number just by chance it may be the one I'm looking for. Tried to get the police to do a vin check but I guess there are rules against doing that so I will just have to keep looking. I hope that she is looking great and owned by someone that loves her like I did. But if I find that she hasn't been fixed yet, I would love the chance to get her back. Thanks again for everyones support and comments.

Are you 100% sure 87370A is the Vin as that looks more like a part number maybe used for a front spring hanger someone with a parts book should be able to look it up.
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 25, 2015 8:09 am

Well that is the number listed as the VIN on the information I got from the Kansas DMV, so I would assume it's right. Could be the A shouldn't be there, and could be the D2 should be in front as some I have seen. Don't have the original title of course so can't verify.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older