line bore spec?

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:19 pm

line bore spec?

Does any one have specs on main bore sizes for a FAB 2 motor. my machine shop found some but wanted to try and make sure of the size before honing or boring my block main journals.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: line bore spec?

Does "your" machine shop have a new bearing set for your engine? The compressed OD of a new bearing set will dictate the required bore size. Good question, but too little information and it may be too early to ask if the parts have not arrived.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm

I do have new bearings in hand. We were hoping not to mic. for measurements and have a spec book or some sort of listing. But so far it looks like we are going to get the micrometer out and go that route.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:43 pm

There must be some measurements on the bearings.
There are more than a few OD and ID sizes to fit a line bored block with a larger outside diameter and a reground crank with a smaller than stock inside diameter. I suppose that a person could get lucky and select a random line bore size and bearings and have a random bearing set fit both the crankshaft and the block. I have seen hundreds of Diesel engine blocks line bored and crankshafts reground and or polished. The machinists in our shop always measured before setting out and dozens of times before the finish.
There is something missing and or wrong going on here. Precise measurements, with a micrometer, are absolutely necessary.
Anyway, a forum is not the place to ask for these details under the circumstances that you describe. If you intend to use the bearing that you have, it would be advisable to get the specifications on the bearing set and go from there. If the machine shop you are about to use is incapable of fitting your bearing set and using a micrometer, maybe you should move onto your next shop option.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 am

I got really lucky. And goes to show you can't trust a supposed reputable machine shop. Nikki you were right to start questioning there way of going about it and yes it should be as easy to mic. the bearings and my crank. I went to talk to them as they put my block on to be line honed and noticed that they turned three of my main caps around and the middle two were in the wrong location. I know this how #1 I took my engine apart my self. #2 I took over 200 pictures of the engine as it was disassembled. #3 I marked all of the caps location and direction. And then they tried to tell me that that was how they need to go. You could tell by the 1/4 hang over on the cap that that was wrong. Thank you Nikki

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 am

I'm pleased that you were able to stop what might have been a disaster. Incompetence is common and you did the right things to protect your property. I have worked with incompetence and genius. A company is not stronger than its weakest employees.
A suggestion. If it is in your budget, consider having the rotating parts of your engine balanced. Google engine balancing for some great descriptions.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat May 09, 2015 5:12 pm

I found a shop near by in Buffalo Mo really good reputation and the guy that owned the shop new of my engine and was really interested in working on it. They asked for all my bearings and crank and said they could just do it buy spec. They told me they would call me before any thing was done and let me know what needed to be done. And it turns out my bosses brother is the owner. I didn't know that till later. So thank you again Nikkinutshop reminding me to question the first machine shop( that has been open for almost fifty years.) Knowledge doesn't stop stupidity.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 09, 2015 6:28 pm

I don't understand how some businesses stay in business.

Return to 1940 and Older