cowl lacing rivets

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 am

cowl lacing rivets

Im looking for a certain type of cowl lacing rivet that was used on my 1936 C-1. I know about the standard split rivets but the one I found on my truck on the cowl are more of a 4 pointed rivet that kind of curled around into the lacing. The part that went through the cowling was similar to a snap on a button, it had a small knob at one end.
Has anyone seen a rivet for hood lacing that was even close to what I am describing? or should I just put the standard split rivet in its place. These look to the be the original rivets as everything else on the truck was very original and un tampered with, I have no reason to suspect that someone has replaced it.
Also if I do replace them with the standard split rivets, should the head of the rivet face the hood or the split face the hood? The radiator shroud rivets have the head facing the hood. But it looks like the 4 pointed cowling rivets have the split facing the hood.

Thank you,
Corey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:36 am

Re: cowl lacing rivets

Could those rivets you had on your lacing been Tubular rivets? They have setting tools that either roll the edge or star out the edge of the tubular rivets.
Just my thoughts.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:57 am

That may very well have been it. Ill have do a little more research into that. :) thank you

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

I just looked in the Restoration Specialties catalog and they have the tubular rivets and the split rivets all in a variety of materials. None that appeared to be with 4 points. That doesn't mean they don't have them and a call to them would answer that question and possibly they would have a lead to the vendor who does. The folks there are very helpful and don't mind helping someone out if they can.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:09 pm

When I replaced the lace on my 1927 I just used the 2 prong ones from restoration specialties mine feed thru the cowl and radiator surround and only required one for each end of the lace.
I also used them for the leather corners on the hood but used a small brass washer on the inside so it wouldn't pull thru.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Always a good Idea to put a washer on the rivet, especially in a "stress" area.

Return to 1940 and Older