building a bed from scratch

Forum designed for the D series and older

tqz

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm

building a bed from scratch

just getting ready to start building my bed for my 1938 D-2 pickup and was hoping for a few measurements for my bed sides. My bed won't completely look like a stock bed but I would like the top bed rails to be square like the factory. For those who are by a tape measure and maybe have a few minutes I'm looking for the measurements of how long the top of the bed is that is bent at I believe a 45 degree angle(1st measurement) then the the bed bend that bends at 90 degree(2nd measurement) and then the little bent piece the is bent from 90 degrees form the last measurement(3ard measurement) hopefully I explained that right.

Thanks for any help
by pics on the net I'm guessing the 1st measurements about 4in.....2nd one 2in. and the 3rd about 3/4in. NOT SURE THOUGH, TOTAL GUESS

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: building a bed from scratch

I've got a 39 D2 long (125in) wheelbase... equipped with the square "pyramid" pattern Knox box - It may have been called a medium duty grain box .... although it isn't the smooth or ribbed box, I would volunteer to work up the details for you if it would be helpful...

PMH

tqz

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:19 pm

That would be great! Like I was saying my bedsides won't be the same size as factory but I would like the top of the bed to have the same look as factory International and not a chevy. or ford bed. Please let me know if my first post is confusing on the measurements. Just need the top of bed side rail measurements. degrees for the bend and length of each bend.

Thank you

TQ

Sorry it took me a week to reply, works been crazy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:34 pm

I am going to build the box from SCRATCH. She baked her cake from SCRATCH. I built my car from SCRATCH. My mind boggles at the possibilities. Well, it is not all that surprising, really. SCRATCH was a line scraped in the soil that marked the starting line of an event. That was about 500 years ago and it seems to have stuck with us. I hope this "tides you over" until it gets cold enough to "freeze the balls off of a brass monkey".
Anyway, I hope that your box build is "A piece of cake". I'll be sitting on "Pins and needles" waiting for the next post.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

tqz

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Sorry to upset Nikkinutshop, should have used a different play on words I guess.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

You are not sorry nor should you be. I was trying to add some humour to the mix by using another idiom then adding a few more.
A play on words is a pun and while an idiom may be a pun, it is not by description. An idiom is a speech shortcut that uses a word or phrase to make a statement.
Balls to the wall refers to the airplane throttles fully forward for maximum power. Balls all out refers to the maximum speed of an engine with a mechanical governor with fly weights.
A play on words or pun can use a similar sounding word to upset a statement for the sake of humor.
EG:
My wife was critical of the way I ate supper and said, "You sure sailed right though supper." She went on to say, "I hope that will tide you over until breakfast. " I told her that she was unfathomable and I thought she was not playing with a full deck. She told me that I was making waves and could run aground with her any second. I got her drift.
The first part has idioms. The second part is puns.
I'm not upset.
Back to your box build. I hope that you get an opportunity to "think outside of the box".
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Here is some data re: D model pickup bed(s) with Knox box

measured my Knox box for you - pyramid or square plate, medium duty, with rolled bedside top
Floor to breakpoint: 15.00 in
Angle of break: 45deg
Length of breakpoint to top roll: 4.125in (as measured to outside edge of roll) subtract .75in for roll center point
Top roll dia: 1.50in
Length of bedside: 90.50in (125in wheelbase model - subtract 12.00 for 113in wheelbase model)
Width of bed: 48.50in (inside measurement)

Hope this helps a bit.... really interested in your attempt to build a box... heck, make two, I want to replace mine..

PMH

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 pm

The measurements from a 1938 International box are as follows. Bent at 45 degree angle 5" wide, then at 90 degrees 1 3/4", then at 90 degrees 1". These measurements are from a Canadian truck with the curved corner posts. Attached is a picture of a box I built, using the above as a pattern.
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0475.JPG

tqz

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH for the info!! This will help me out tremendously on this build.

Tony

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

davemcc wrote:The measurements from a 1938 International box are as follows. Bent at 45 degree angle 5" wide, then at 90 degrees 1 3/4", then at 90 degrees 1". These measurements are from a Canadian truck with the curved corner posts. Attached is a picture of a box I built, using the above as a pattern.
Dave

Dave , if you don't mind , what are the other dimensions for the bed sides? Such as total height.
Where did you get your rear fenders?
My truck came with a home made flat bed that had mostly rotted out. I'D like a bed on mine and am still searching for a sonar but the one you built looks nice. Seems like a good way to go.

Return to 1940 and Older