D2 Windshield frame - chrome?

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:33 pm

D2 Windshield frame - chrome?

Hey guys,

Here's another quandry I have come up with. Some of the photos of restored D2's show a chrome front windsheild frame and others are painted black or body color. Was there a base and a deluxe model? Obviously, painting mine would be the cheaper way to go but I do like the chrome look! As I am going to be building it out as a station wagon I would prefer to be factory correct, if there is such a thing! I'm in touch with a wagon owner and he is helping me with the details but as I said, I've seen photos with it both ways.

Oh, and I think I'm going with the late 90's Dakota frame. The track width is only 2 or 3 inches wider so that's only 1" extra in each fender so I think there should be clearance. And the rack and pinion steering is a plus over the S-10. I'm not dropping the suspension just going to have same stance as original.

Jim

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Re: D2 Windshield frame - chrome?

There was a delux cab. My 1940 D-15 has the delux cab with a chrome windshield frame. Attached are pictures before and after restoration.
Dave
Attachments
DSC00236.JPG
Untitled-2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:09 am

I've seen an old picture of a fairly new D-50 or 60ish log truck with a chrome W/S frame.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 am

I have an original sales brochure for a D30. The deluxe package consisted of a chrome windshield frame, chrome bumper(s), dual windshield wipers, a simulated leather seat cover, door armrests, and additional art deco dash trim.

But, I'll bet they would let you order whatever you wanted back then. The state of new york ordered some school buses with diagonal louvers on the hood side shields for some reason.

A sliding rear window, heater, defroster ducts, safety glass (mine has it), and probably a ton of other items I don't know about were available as well.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks Dave, Jared, Diesel for clearing that up!

Now to get some quotes for re-chroming my windshield frame...

Return to 1940 and Older