Tachometer for Old IHC

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Tachometer for Old IHC

Anyone who owns a D series International already knows the uphill battle it is finding parts. In my case, I want to add a mechanical 1940's IHC tachometer to my truck. Since there is no example of a tachometer on a D series pickup, I will need figure out how best to introduce this idea to the truck without drawing any attention to the retrofit. At this point, my thought was to have a pulley custom made ( as pictured ) and have that pulley drive off of the fan belt, and thus also drive the tachometer. Someone mentioned running the tach from the Generator and if there is a way to use the generator, I'm all ears.

Does anyone have any examples of D series pickups or K series pickups with a Tachometer running / connected to the generator? Would like to see an example.

Can anyone clearly explain how to connect the tachometer cable to the generator? What parts would be needed?

Does anyone know what the stock/model number would be for a tachometer cable which could be fitted to the tachometer I have?

Does anyone know where I could find the tachometer cable to fit my tachometer I have as pictured?

Thanks. George

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:17 pm

e-bay is one place to look.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0
Then you have to have a cable and drive ratio adaptor made. you'll need to measure the pulley sizes to figure out how fast the generator turns relative to the crank, then have a speedo shop make a ratio adaptor so the output will be 1/2 crankshaft speed. All can be done but you'll have several hundred dollars tied up in it.
edit: if you are running 6 volt, you'll need to have the field coils in the 12 volt generator replaced with 6 volt field coils, to make the generator a 6 volt unit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:13 am

I am interested in Dilton's idea of using a modern tach with the original face. What makes a modern tach work?I assume electric current? If so, how would that work in a six volt system such as I have?-Stickman207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:39 pm

A while back Pg. 2? I said I would get the dist number for the BLD's. It is Delco 1112288 According to the box it came in. It has a tach drive but no provision for a gov drive.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 am

Can anyone recommend a company that will convert a mechanical tach from a International truck to an electrical tach using the same face and keeping it 6 volt? I have sort of decided that redoing the distributor to add a mechanical tach drive is too complex for me.- Stickman207 PS- Someone on this site pointed out a Sun electrical tach in the parts book a while ago. Has anyone ever seen one of those?-
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older