20s/30s Lycoming Oil Pumps

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:42 pm

20s/30s Lycoming Oil Pumps

Longtime followers here will remember the threads re' the Lycoming CTs disintegrating potmetal or similar material oil pump and the successful effort to fab a replacement...
I've always been curious as to whether this problem was limited to the CT, or whether it affected
(a) other "C" 4cyl series engines---C. CE, CF, CH,CU, CW? C4 series, and probably more not on my list...
(b) any other period Lycoming engines...
With no general awareness of widespread Lyc oil pump problems, it would appear the problem was limited, but limited to what??...
If you've had your Lyc apart, and remember what the oil pump looked like (housing material) would you please advise?? Any comments appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud (Dying of curiosity!)
(Also posted to AACA general and A-C-D forums, smokstak Antq Cars/Trks forum)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: 20s/30s Lycoming Oil Pumps

Bud I have not had much contact with any other lycomings so can only talk about the CT and nearly everyone I have seen has failed or is about to fail. Also the other part that also fails on these is the external pressure regulator.

These are from my spare engine and what we used to get all the sizes for the new adaptor. The one from Bills engine came out in a million bits. When removing mine we had to use a lot of heat to expand the block to enable it to be removed not an easy task at all.

Trevor
Attachments
DSC04042.jpg
DSC04010.jpg
One of the better ones
IMG_1671.jpg
IMG_1672.jpg
Pressure regulator also fails
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Bud and Trevor, I never pulled the oil pan but the 6 cylinder Lycoming I sold Bill had a similar external pressure regulator. Makes me think maybe it had same type of oil pump. Bill should know plus he has that engine now. Image

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:14 am

The older design 2 main bearing Lycoming "K" series engines (IH trucks used the "KB") used a plunger type pump that was made of cast iron so this pump gives no major problems other than being plugged with sludge or the check valves not seating. This pump only delivers oil up to a gallery where it gravity feeds to the 2 main bearings and con rod dipper troughs. Gauge reads 4 psi max.
I would assume all "C" series, 4 cylinder, 5 main bearing full pressure oiling engines used the notorious pot metal pumps and pressure regulators. These engine utilize a 45 psi system, very advanced for 20s engineering.
As for the 6 cylinder Model 4SL engine I have not been into it yet to know what material the oil pump is made of.
Perhaps someone from either the Auburn or Gardener auto groups could be of help here. Also I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 makes of autos and trucks used Lycoing engines, and also the Fageol tractor made in California.
Bill

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:35 am

well I have to eat crow on the 30 makes of autos. I was wrong.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/200 ... ure10.html

By the list at the end of this article it's 70 if i counted correctly.

The 2 engines in the right foreground of the factory photo appear to be model 4SL, 6 cylinder truck engines! They have the large truck style bell housing adapter and the drive pins in the flywheel for the twin disc clutch.
Bill

Return to 1940 and Older