Long hood for D series

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Long hood for D series

Since I am swapping in a cummins and the engine bay of my D30 is a few inches short I was going to recess the engine into the firewall about 4 inches.

I recently looked at my original sales brochure for the D30 and noticed something was not quite right. A lot of the pictures show a d series truck with a longer hood, there seems to be 4 inches additional length at the rear of the hood. I'm thinking the illustrations were recycled from another brochure. I was wondering if anyone knows what models had the longer hood.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am

Re: Long hood for D series

Looking in the Grey book, it mentions that in 1938 IHC started installing diesel engines in some trucks. They have an additional "D" prefix on the model designation. It goes on to mention the standard diesel was a 4 cylinder Cummins but that two 6 cylinder Cummins were also offered. The six cylinder version required an extended hood. In talking about the DRD70 it says the distance between front axle and bumper was 50" vs the normal 40" distance. Looking at production numbers, don't hold your breath in finding a longer hood. MM

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:49 am

The trucks in the pictures are all single axle units and the hood is only a little bit longer than normal. It's not 10" longer for sure. Maybe a D50 had a longer hood?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 pm

I do not know which model of Diesel is in your plans. If you are thinking of using a CUMMINS b series, I have both the 4bta and the isb 5.9 inline 6 in the shop. If you need any diminutions and pictures I can get these onto the forum for you.
My son and I have an L110 build in the works that includes a CUMMINS 4bta with a TH475, transfer case and DANA axles. The 4bta is nearly a clear fit and the only clearance issue is about .375" for the starter, on the right side. Lots of pictures can be viewed in the L,R,S build off section of this forum.
I have a local acquaintance who likes the "L" series Binders. He likes the isb, 5.9 Cummins inline 6, commonly found in the RAM trucks. I know the CUMMINS 5.9 six will just fit with a little clearance left over, in an "L". This means nothing to your situation.
In 1990, I installed an 6.9 DIESEL V8 into an R120. There was a serious clearance situation that required the firewall to be set back to accommodate the 37.5 inch wide V8 engine. The set-back was just to the original factory set-back for the SD220. I had to open and step out a section of the left inner fender apron for side clearance, so I installed a shielded power steering oil cooer in the opening. The front to back measurement of the 6,9 idi was the same as the original 220SD and then everything else changed. The set back modification was just hours of my time and not all that expensive. In the end, the accelerator pedal was in the original location.
A D30 looks like a substantial truck and may have a stronger frame. The frames on the later binders did not have any real frame strength in the R120 and lighter duty models. This is contrary to the BS that is being promoted. The added costs of getting this great lump V8 Diesel in and keeping it there was frame and suspension modifications. If I had to do it all over again, I would level the "R" frame on adjustable trestles (aka steel saw-horses) and use the IH frame as a build template for a custom frame. Here is something to think about. Our CUMMINS 4bta has more performance than the 6.9idi V8 and weighs almost 500 pounds less.
After having considered all that I have become familiar with, I have to say that an inline engine is a better and easier fit in an OLHIHC. The 6.9idi and later 7.3 idi engines are not very powerful are very heavy and tend to leak oil. The 7.3 Powerstroke needs more clearance and fitting is much more difficult. If you do know that a 7.3 Powerstroke has had a really good service history, you may be buying a seriously expensive needs-all-engine that could easily have a repair bill of between $7,000 to $17,000.
I like your project and the style of the "D" series.
There are a few interesting Japanese turbo Diesel engines in PUD trucks running the streets in this area. They all have automatics and the performance seems to be really good. I am mildly curious but not enough to go for a look. In this area, we have 99 Truck Parts and their selection of engines and transmissions is fantastic.

http://youtu.be/piPq01w1YHo
Attachments
untitled (2).png
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:47 am

The plan is for a 6BT Cummins into the D30, I figure the VE pump version is a little narrower at the gear case so that's what I plan on using. I already have the engine here so I already know I need 4 more inches length in the engine bay, I can recess the engine into the firewall or the better looking option would be to have a long hood.

The 4 cylinders are neat but, they are rough as a cobb at low rpm, unless you have one with the balance shaft under the mains.. The six will get the same mileage or better than the 4 in our experience. We have a 6BT in a 72 Chevy getting 32 mpg,and one in an 84 caprice classic getting about the same.

I wouldn't put a Japanese engine in anything American . My great grandfather was a sea bee and he had to rebuild pearl harbor, it's my respect to him and our country.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:08 pm

My friend has a 4bta in his Willys and it frustrates him when he gets 25mpg and I get 27.5mpg with my 2002 Ram 2500 4X4. The 6bta is too much power for the Dodge, so it never really works hard. This Dodge takes on The Highway Through Hell easily.
I like your projects. There is a Cummins Monte Carlo on You Tube.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:10 pm

I like to buy MADE IN NORTH AMERICA as often as I can, but the battle has been lost decades ago.
I wouldn't be surprised if that Bosch VE pump was made in Japan.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Resurrecting an old post:

eBay item number:

Look at that long hood! The grille looks a little deeper than the D30 too.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 pm

With the help of another forum member, I verified my theory. The D30 hood is 29 inches long at the center hinge, a D35 hood is 35 inches long. This will create the clearance I need. I've found the tops, I need to find sides.

Return to 1940 and Older