D-2 Flywheel Parts & Assembly

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm

D-2 Flywheel Parts & Assembly

Now it's time for me to work on the flywheel. There's a few things I need to know before I put it back together.

1. I found a NOS Flywheel Ring Gear. I checked the part number against the IHC Parts manual and it's a match. Now, does anyone know what is the proper way to place a ring gear onto the Flywheel? I've been told you should use heat. I may take it to a machine shop, but thought I'd ask.

2. Does anyone know how to position the ring gear onto the flywheel? Is there some sort of reference point or marks to where to two parts are supposed to meet? And how does one know which side to place on first? I would not want to put the darn thing on backwards and find out the starter gear won't grab.

3. Does anyone know what the cross reference part number would be for the bearing that goes in the center of the flywheel? The part number on the current bearing says ( N.D. 3302 ). I would prefer to purchase a bearing made in the USA.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: D-2 Flywheel Parts & Assembly

Look at the teeth, if they have a bevel on one end that would go forward towards the starter. The old ring gear should come off using a hammer and punch just keep moving around to take it off. The flywheel should have a slightly larger rim that you put the ring gear on until that rim stops it from going further. I use a larger acetylene torch tip and heat moving it in circles to heat evenly. I look for it to just start to turn blue. No need to get too hot, as it is a large diameter and not too thick it will grow several thousandths. Use gloves or pliers to drop it on the flywheel and be ready to follow up with a few taps with punch and hammer to make sure it seats fully. You'll need to do that quickly as the heat will dissipate into the flywheel quickly. If you don't get it fully seated first try, no need to panic, just use a brass punch and knock it back off and do it again. MM

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:41 am

To add just a bit to MM post. other then seating it all the way there is no alignment marks to line up. the shrink fit is all that is required to hold it on the flywheel.

Return to 1940 and Older