1928 Six Speed Special

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: 1928 Six Speed Special

Here is a link that explains more and tells how to rebuid.
http://www.geaaonline.org/vacuumfuelfeed.htm
and here
http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/vacuum-tank-fuel-pump.html
MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes i am referring to that tank on the firewall. I had a guy tell me to squirt a little bit of ATF fluid in the port that runs the windshield wiper because there is a leather diaphragm in there and the ATF fluid would help to soften it back up. Has anybody pulled the tank apart? there is a screw plug in the top of the tank, should i put some fuel down in there to fill it up?

I did get the emails!! Thanks a million, that is full of great information!!! Thanks again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Yes I pulled one apart. Something like 27 years ago. Mine had the inner tank rusted out. When I finished restoring the Model F, I eliminated it am just using gravity feed from the tank to my updraft carb. As long as I keep 1/3 of a tank of fuel I don't have any problems running out of fuel even going uphill. I pulled a 8% grade in Central City with only 1/4 tank and had to choke it to keep running until I crested to a gentler slope. Someday I should figure out where its at and attempt to solder in all the holes. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:39 pm

What does this tank look like. Pictures?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 pm

If I get a chance to locate mine I will take some photos. Look at the links I provided above in the meantime. MM

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:19 am

Re the Vacuum Tank
First check that the suck line is working to the vacuum tank. Disconnect it from the tank and blow through it to make sure ts clean, then listen for bubbles in the tank. The tank has a top feed so if there's a leak or the pipe has broken off in the tank its not gonna work. Its pretty easy to take the suction pipe out of the tank to check it too. If that's all ok you may have to dig into the tank. That's a little more complex. If the little valves are free they probably work so..1. Check the float no leaks. 2. lift out the inner tank and check the checkvalve at the bottom. 3. Make sure the vent hole isn't plugged. 4. The top must be sealed - make a new gasket. If you need any more direction post a reply or pm me.
And Yes, the little plug on top is so you can put some gas in the tank to prime the system,.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older