Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 am

from north Carolina hello everyone, I just found this site. a good friend of mine has a 1915 model f 1 ton guess you could say I am his mechanic, he loves this old truck like a family member and his passion for it is starting to rub off on me. we have a problem that I hope I can find help here. a shift fork broke in trans that's been repaired now it has spun num. 4 rod bearing does anybody know where one can be obtained or an aftermarket or a suitable replacement of some kind. any suggestions are welcome. wingmun

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: newbie

I Will move this to the pre-40's section, you will probably get much more responses there.

Lloyd

Welcome to the Best forum for Old Internationals!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

I am pretty certain that we are looking at poured Babbitt bearings here. So there is no such thing as a "spun bearing" . In this era insert bearings are an extreme rarity, only used on very expensive engines for the most part.
The poured bearings when new had a shim pack were shims could be removed as the bearing wore.
If the shims haven't all been removed you should be able to remove shims and set the proper clearance using plastigage.
I have a copy of the parts book and will look when I get time and see what type of bearing is listed.
You can also go to Binder books and order a Model "F" manual which has a parts list also.
Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Speed Truck Bill is correct the Model F has poured babbit rod bearings. If you go to Smokstak.com and do a search I think you can find directions on how to pour them. I would check first to see if you have shims that can be removed to adjust the clearance. Remember this is a dip and trough lube system and will require a bigger clearance than a pressure system. This engine uses a plunger oil pump to lube the main bearings and to fill the troughs that the rods dip into. There should be a petcock on the side of the block to open and verify that it is pumping. It will not be pressurized only dribbling some oil at idle. MM

Return to 1940 and Older