D30 update

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Re: D30 update

Smog_guy wrote:I suspect the spoked portions stay the same and just the demountable rims change width? Of course I could be wrong.
I've never measured the demountable "split" rim. Maybe they are different widths. I've never noticed.
I do know that they can rust and be unusable. The "ring" part gets sharp where it meets the rest of the rim. It shouldn't be sharp.
Would you mind taking pictures and posting of what you're doing? We love pictures here and you get more and better responses.

The book shows 2 different numbers for the center sections with no explanation, and yes the demountable rims change width. There were different lengths of bolts and spacer thicknesses varied for the duals as well. I think everything I am looking at can be viewed over at the gangster international website. I will try and get a few more pics posted once I can get out to the truck.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Went out and did alot of inspecting and measuring yesterday. Came home with some ticks, luckily none dug in quite yet. The tires are 7.00X20 the appear to be on 5" wide rims since the measure about 6'' wide between the spokes. They're in tough shape, some of the wheels probably aren't good enough for scrap. They are flakey between the lip of the wheel and the really crappy tires.

I did figure out that I have 6 pieces of stainless trim for the grille, the 2 short ones by the hand crank hole are missing. One short piece of hood trim is missing as well. I suppose I can't cry about this, just going to be hard to find. The headlights are rusting out in the trim rings and one is going by the attachment area, I might just buy repop guide 682's.
Last edited by Diesel D30 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Those rims look like they are nearly salvageable.

I will have a look at a D30 rim I got given as I am 100% sure its the same as the ones on my KS5.

Here are mine

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

I suspect wheels may interchange between C,D,K,KB trucks. So, I might be able to find some rollers local. I put up an ad on crazylist to see what turns up cheap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 am

Think you will find it's only D30 and bigger that's the same size as the K5 ones. Here in Australia the KB5 came out with disc type wheels not sure in the states if that was the same.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am

On spoke wheels the center spacer is determined by the width of the spoke ( from rear of the spoke, where it starts its taper to front where the wedge bolts on). the longer it is the wider rims that can be used and the wider the spacer that is required. The likely reason for the listing of two hubs is different width, one limited to narrow rims (likely 6" or less) and one that will accept wider. You can use narrow rims on a spoke for wider but not the other way around. The width of the rim determines the "offset" of the mounting area, narrow rims have less of an offset, so the tires are closer togther, the spacer band places the outer rim at the correct location so the wedges will tighten correctly to the rim. You should never have to change the width of the spacer!
Those rims look from the pictures that they could be useable, only after removeing the tire and cleaning the rust off can you tell. They can have minor pitting, as long as the steel is still structurely strong as tube types don't seal to the rim. Look carefully at the lock ring, as I have found those can crack on that style rim. cracked rings are not repairable.
Here disk or spoke was the choice of whoever ordered the truck. I have one on disk and one on spoke.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 am

Diesel D30 wrote:I don't have any freeway intentions for the current setup of the truck. If it will roll around without destroying the concrete and stop with the handbrake that's all I need right now.

FWIW, I have an old IH parts book for the D30 and DS30. It turns out the trucks were available with 5,6,7, and 8 inch "spoke" type wheels. Theoretically a 9 inch tire should be on a 7 or 8 inch rim. So, those wheels and tires I found might just work. I'll have to get the tape out to be sure.

The parts book and sales brochures I bought are a good resource, it's neat to see what was available back then and what it looked like when it was new. I wish I had an owners manual for the D30...

7" ot 7.5" take a 10.00x20 a 8" will take a 10.00 or 11.00x20. A 9.00x20 will go on a 6.5 or 7" rim. You could likely squeeze it on a 6" but it wouldn't be happy.
In otherwords, tire number is NOT a direct cross to rim width, although there is a direct relationship, the wider the tire the wider the rim it goes on.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older