Disk Brakes for 1936 C1 Pickup

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Disk Brakes for 1936 C1 Pickup

Some time back in the old forum, I had posted a question for disk brakes for the front of my C1 pickup. I had a gentleman respond that had made the brackets before and had a kit for this. Note: This was for using the original spindles.

In my introduction, it was suggested that wildbillman was the guy. I am now ready to purchase this kit, but I can not find the phone number.

If anyone knows of this or where I can get a kit like this, I would appreciate it.

Thank You for your help,

BHunt

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Disk Brakes for 1936 C1 Pickup

this is what WWB had posted before. this is psted from what I had saved. there were some photos too but they would not copy over.

Disc brakes on the stock axle and hubs
I have a setup for disc brakes on KB-1 and KB-2 stock hubs and axle. In my photo gallery is a pic of my disc brakes on my 48 KB-2.
Here is a copy of my thread from OLDIHC, it tells a bit more in detail how I did it.

I found a fairly simple way to put disc brakes on a KB-2 stock front axle. I got almost all the parts from Speedway Motors. I used a set of Wilwood rotor hats and 11.75" rotors that bolt together. I pressed the studs out of the hub and removed the drums. then I installed longer studs from NAPA. The rotor hat then slides right on to the hub. I used the 1.41" offset hats to clear the kingpin boss. The rotors bolt on to the hats with 8 bolts. I used Speedway's laser cut GM metric caliper brackets, with a little trimming and an extra tab welded od they bolt to the outboard side of the spindle ears. I got metric calipers for an 85 Monte Carlo and pads at the local parts store. The braided stainless 19" brake hoses with a 90 on one end. The rotors are held on by the wheels like a front wheel drive car. Be sure to use a 2lb residual valve in the line between the master cylinder and the front brakes to keep a slight pressure on the calipers. It helps keep the fluid from draining back to the master cylinder. What a difference stopping. WOW!
F.Y.I. here are the part numbers from Speedway.
rotor hats - 835-1700764
rotors GM .81"x11.75" - 910-31906
rotor/hat bolts - 835-2300233
19" brake line - 910-31892-3
3/8"-24 fem. to AN-3 fitting for frame - 617-4129
metic banjo bolt kit - 617-2950
metric caliper braket, flat - 916-41009
caliper slide bolts - 835-2300542

No I'm not a sales man for them, their parts work well. I put the brakes on for around $350.00. The expensive part was the hats at 145.90 a pair, but those are what made it easy. The hats have 3 bolt patterns for 4.5", 4.75" and 5" on 5. I thought this might help someone trying to do this.
Bill

Return to 1940 and Older