No Spark

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 am

No Spark

Yesterday I tried starting My 37 D2 (233 GRD)for the first time since I've owned it (almost 2 yrs.) however no spark. Very simple setup as all the original wiring has been removed as I'm preparing for new paint. New battery, direct wire from negative post > coil, coil > distributor. Positive conn. from battery to engine block should be good as the engine turns over just fine. Timing appears close as the rotor points to #1 plug when pulley and marker are aligned, but even if even if this were off I think I still should get a spark. Also points open/close as they should and cap looks good as do the spark plus wires. I suspect the coil but not sure how to test it. Any suggestions on were to go from here, did I miss something on the wiring, or should I just by a new coil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll be heading to the antique truck show in Barrington, NH. in an hour or so, so hopefully I'll run into some OLD IHC folks there.

--George
37 D2 Pickup - restored
76 Scout II Terra - restored
74 International 200 4x4 - restoring
2011 F350

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 am

Re: No Spark

Most likely the points have a little oxidation and are not makeing good contact. try cleaning with a thin file and see of then you don't have spark.
you can check for spark from the coil by grounding the lead to the dist (when the points are open) then removeing the ground, the coil should provide spark when the ground is opened.
Coils are unlikely to be the problem, not un heard of, but less like to be at fault then the points or condenser.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks Cornbinder, I'm on it. I'll let You know what I find.

Thanks again

--George
37 D2 Pickup - restored
2011 F350

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Right on Cornbinder

I cleaned up the points like You suggested and while doing this I noticed that the connection were condenser,coil and points
connect was loose, so I cleaned up everything, crimped on a new connector on the condenser, tightened up everything and
now I have spark. Been so long since I worked on a vehicle with points, rotor, and condenser I forgot about the basics. More work
to do get this GRD running.

Thanks again

--George
37 D2 Pickup - restored
2011 F350

Return to 1940 and Older