D35 Damper

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 am

D35 Damper

Smog has given me some input on this but i got my D35 running after sitting many years and after about 10 minutes of idling the damper fell off the front of the crank pulley. There were no bolts holding it on. Initially i thought someone had siliconed itbto the pulley.After looking closer there is like a rubber gasket that fits between the two and the engine parts breakdown shows something like this. I looked at a little newer truck which I think is a KB6 and it has a similar damper and it had bolts coming in from the front of the damper. I am not sure if the pulley is threaded or if there are nuts on the back of the pullley.There is not alot of space. My question is can i get the damper back on without pulling the pulley? The front cross member is pretty close. I figured that it fell off so maybe i can put it back on and bolt it down. Has anyone had to deal with this? Any input appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am

Re: D35 Damper

You might want to post the cool engine cutaway picture again. That way you can get multiple opinions.
Looking at the drawing I see two woodruff keys. Those are the half-moon shapes stuck into the crank snout.
The right woodruff key is most likely for the crank timing gear.
The left woodruff key is for dampner.
The drawing shows the key, the slot in the dampner for the key, the crank seal and the seal surface.
Interestingly, the pulley for the belt is SEPARATE from this first piece. You can see a gap between this first piece of the dampner and the pulley.
And then you see the bolts or studs and nuts.
It LOOKS LIKE this first piece that presses over the crank and has the woodruff key and the seal surface for the crank seal is bolted through the pulley to the outer part of the dampner.
The rubber gasket you describe is between the pulley and this outer part.
It's my guess that this ENTIRE ASSY--outer part (that you found on the ground), pulley and the inner pressed on part are installed and removed as an assembly.
Now that the outer part has fallen off (from the drawing it has the holes in it for the puller) you are going to have some difficulty removing the inner parts of the dampner. This part is pressed on.
I hope and assume that some of the fasteners or the holes are present and that you can rig a puller to get it off.
I can't see how any of this can be accomplished with the front clip installed or at any rate the radiator.
This is my take. Now let's see what everyone else thinks.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Smog. I hear what you are saying for the most part. The Damper seems like it would be lightly pressed onto the pulley due to the fact that it has was seems to be like a relatively thick rubber gasket. I am sure how important that really would be if it was bolted to the pulley. I do need to figure out if the pulley itself has threaded slots to attach a puller. The Damper does not have threads but rather just drilled holes that the bolts pass though. Just as much of a problem is that the cross member may be in the way even if there are threaded holes to pull from. I know on a small block chevy if you unbolt the motor mounts that you can jack the engine up quite alot. Not sure if that is the case here. I have attached the picture for rference.
Attachments
ih241.jpg
D35 - IH241 Engine

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:10 pm

As I don't have a FAx engine, I can only go by the pic's and what I know from the BLD and other engines. My guess is the pulley is either bolted or rivited to a hub, which is held on the end of the crank with the big nut, and positioned with the woodruff key. The balancer is attached to the pulley via the rubber bond, which in your case failed. I thnk you should be able to pull the pulley with a set of bearing knives, or bearing splitter (whichever name you choose). You need to have the balancer portion re- bonded to the pulley or a replacement. There used to be a guy who did this but can't find the info any more.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Just from looking at it the dampner hole is large enough to where the net will slide through it. There is no extended shaft for a woodruf key. I may need to take a closer look at the KB6 I was looking at is it is similar.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

good old google .

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/m ... y_Code=INT

Have to agree with everyone else you need to pull the rest off the balancer off get a new one or yours fixed.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Return to 1940 and Older