What to do with methanol?

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

What to do with methanol?

I got a 55 gallon drum of methanol in with a bunch of pumps and tanks that I bought from a gent who made his own biodiesel some years ago. It still sits in my barn and I'm getting to old to wrassle it around when it needs moving. Any practical uses anybody knows of?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: What to do with methanol?

http://essentialchemicalindustry.org/ch ... hanol.html

A lot I didn't know...
Acetic Acid?
Perspex windshields?
China blends 15% with gasoline?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:21 am

Thank you Monsonmotors, very interesting. Maybe I should blend some in with my lawn mower fuel and see if I can cut my mowing time down?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 am

I was thinking mix with Diesel, but.... Wonder if you have anyone in your area who is still making their own bio-Diesel? Perhaps just advertise something like : looking for folks who are run/make bio-diesel. Contact: ######### then you could perhaps sell it to one of those folks. Let them haul it. Here is another fact sheet on Methanol: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... GuoIXh0qPA

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't think I know enough to be an expert on chemicals, but I think you may open yourself up to some legal ramifications if you try to sell a hazardous chemical such as methanol. Namely an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) would be required to be given to the buyer. Private transaction to a private buyer MAY be excluded or it may not. Lots of laws out there to comply with. Ideally you got an MSDS when you acquired the meth. If you didn't, you need to educate yourself regarding the liabilities of having that much quantity and how you should handle it as a user and how to legally rid yourself of it. Even just giving it away may have legal responsibilities. Here, I would check with the county hazardous waste experts and find out if I could sell it, and, if not, how to get rid of it. If there is a company that specializes in abating hazardous waste, they may be able to educate you. If they take it off your hands, they'll likely charge you a fee. Points to consider when having hazardous chemicals around. When it comes to chemicals, there are laws governing how much is considered practical for a homeowner to have. If you're on a farm, there may be a different guideline. Even the company that sprays people's yards to control grass pests has to comply with laws on how much, how it should be handled and how often. At one point, I had to be trained (40 hrs.) and certified as a supervisor just to push a start button to activate an automatic spraying system to control flying insects in a processing plant. I wasn't mixing chemicals or anything other than pushing that start button.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Return to Miscellaneous