Will these stock trucks keep up?

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Will these stock trucks keep up?

I got a steady 14 mpg in my L-112 panel, never did a mileage check in my KB cause gas was under 50 cents a gallon
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:21 am

10MPG was in reference to my K-7's, which compared to the weight difference to your panel, isn't 1/2 bad. I had an F350 service truck that only got about 7, and weighed between 10K and 12K depending on if I had the tandem trailer on the back.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Scarily, CB is correct. Only make mods after you decide where it fits in your life. A "sometimes" driver isn't worth modifying much.
However, the right mods done correctly will MAKE you drive it a lot more.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:11 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:10MPG was in reference to my K-7's, which compared to the weight difference to your panel, isn't 1/2 bad. I had an F350 service truck that only got about 7, and weighed between 10K and 12K depending on if I had the tandem trailer on the back.

I get a steady 10mpg in my KB-6 empty or full, which like you said isn't 1/2 bad compared to other vehicles, we rented a motorhome once that got 5,,,,if you were going downhill,

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:12 am

Monsonmotors wrote:Scarily, CB is correct. Only make mods after you decide where it fits in your life. A "sometimes" driver isn't worth modifying much.
However, the right mods done correctly will MAKE you drive it a lot more.

I know these trucks are not Chevys from a parts standpoint....put is a particular year a better bet to start with?....1/2 tons seem to be a more hard to find to purchase...the 1 tons seems to be more prevalent...

When I rebuilt my Chevy truck I had to down size the front axle from a 1 ton to a 1/2 ton because of the availability of parts...

Yes I agree find something that runs and try and drive it...upgraded brakes I do on everything I rebuild...who makes the best disc brake kits for these trucks??

Thanks guys for all the insight...

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 am

Start by googling everything. "Disc brakes for International pickup". Search oldihc.
I could do this but you need to get used to searching for what you want.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm

as fro particular year, 1941-1949 pickups all basically used same running so any year would be same parts issues,

1950-1956 pickups used basically identical running gear, upgrade from the 40s though,
so any 50s truck would be same as another for parts etc

best truck? the one you like the looks of, the unseen stuff is secondary really with these, especially if youplan to upgrade,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:28 pm

I think it is reasonable to assume that IHC would have made a faster pickup if the company had survived. The big problem at IHC, was management. It took a committee to chose a paint colour and the IH diversity committee was too diverse in the many products they were making. When the CEO decided to take on the UAW Union and lost that skirmish, it was too late for IHC because the losses were too great for recovery. IHC was further broken by a court decision on patent infringement and the agriculture division was lost. Fred W. Crismon has written a really good and big book detailing the history of IHC. the book comes in both hard cover and hard cover. These books often detail the axle ratios that were offered. IH did offer power steering, power brakes and an automatic as early as 1953.
https://www.amazon.com/International-Tr ... 0970056729 These Amazon prices are much lower than I paid more than a decade ago.
ISBN-13: 978-0970056726 soft cover

ISBN-13: 978-0760300695 Hard cover.
I have both the hard and soft cover books. While the greater percentage of the books is the same the later soft cover finishes with a larger number of coloured pictures.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:25 pm

the MPG mileage on these was horrible,
Attachments
IH fridge.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:09 pm

These OLD IHC refrigerators lasted for decades, some more than 50 years. My neighbour across the lane hired movers to take a very old IHC deep freezer out of his basement. That great lump must have weighed 800 pounds because of the decades of ice that built up in the insulation. Water ran out of the freezer for several sunny days before the city appliance pickup came by.
So............ I am thinking BRJ must be referring to the "little-black-dress" model with the look of elevated expectation on her face. From my not so limited experience, I can say with some confidence, and as one infamous member put it, "your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects."
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous