Will these stock trucks keep up?

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Will these stock trucks keep up?

Hi OLDIHC

I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot or not, if it is not please feel to move it to where it belongs.

I have driven some vintage stuff from the year 1947 up to 1968 and of course our current daily driver stuff we all drive today. I am currently looking for something I can tinker with even use to do work around my place,

Will the stock International truck (1940's and up) run along not get run over with the modern day traffic? I know my Willys vehicles were really really slow (47 mph)....my basically stock 1953 Chevy truck would top out at about 52 mph...my current toy is a 1968 VW bug...it will run along about 55 to 60 mph with out too much strain...

If they wont keep up what is the best route to take to make it more traffic friendly?

Any insight would be appreciated.

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Re: Will these stock trucks keep up?

$10,000 should be just about right to make an old IHC safe and quick enough to keep up with traffic.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm

what year is best to drive now??

Oh my gosh...

Can I reword my question....I was just rethinking this...If I was to find a vintage International Pickup truck...what year and model would be the best (simplest) to make into a decent around town drive to work now and then truck...one that I can still get dirty if I had to....

I have found an early 1950's truck with a newer Chevy 6 cylinder in it...runs and sorta drives but needs brake work...the biggest deal that I see is...it is in Denver CO and I am in upstate NY...price seems ok from what I can see in the pictures...

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

A 40's or 50's pick-up is good for 45-55 MPH, if you want more than look for newer truck. My dads '73 pick-up was a 55 MPH truck, would go faster but was geared for 55.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:18 pm

I drove a stone stock 49 International pickup for a long time in the 70s with no issue, back then people honked at you if you were going too slow, now they shoot you,,,,,,,,,,

I drove a 1952 L panel truck stone stock for many years in the 90s, no issues,

a stock K, KB or 50s truck is just fine in the city, you get out on the interstate, stay in the right lane,

I have to say I am not a hot rod type guy I was fine doing around 50 mph, if you want to go 60-70-80 then the $10k mentioned would be to make a truck that is safe at that speed and can stop from that speed quickly and safely if needed,

it all depends on what you are looking for, a old truck to putt around in, or one you can do a side drift around corners with the tires lit up,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 am

bedrockjon wrote:I drove a stone stock 49 International pickup for a long time in the 70s with no issue, back then people honked at you if you were going too slow, now they shoot you,,,,,,,,,,

I drove a 1952 L panel truck stone stock for many years in the 90s, no issues,

a stock K, KB or 50s truck is just fine in the city, you get out on the interstate, stay in the right lane,

I have to say I am not a hot rod type guy I was fine doing around 50 mph, if you want to go 60-70-80 then the $10k mentioned would be to make a truck that is safe at that speed and can stop from that speed quickly and safely if needed,

it all depends on what you are looking for, a old truck to putt around in, or one you can do a side drift around corners with the tires lit up,

Hi Bedrock

I would love to get one that I can drive to work once in a while (9 miles each way) and then be able to go get a load of turd dirt if need too....oh yeah something that will tow a car trailer or at least a tow dolly

Yeah I am not a hot rod guy either...I do enjoy enjoy my oval track but not on the roadways at all...

A decent putt putt truck that can get out of its own way would be a wonderful thing...

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Full blown attack on driveability?
1) Disc brakes. They make 'em!
2) Newer trans with synchros if yours is without so you can shift faster.
3) Higher ratio (lower numerical) differential. Like 3:00 ish. You can add taller tires instead if you want to try that.
4) "Climatic choke" carburetor. The old push-pull choke has to go. TBI conversion (it can be done) is even better.

My take on this would be to make the truck appear stock while performing in a modern fashion. Also, I'd lower truck front and rear a few inches to lower c/g. Flip rear axle, drop front axle. All very doable.
A anti sway bar up front would round things out. Of course great lighting is needed with effective turn and brake lights.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 pm

After a total frame off restoration on our R120, including the engine and the box and body, the "R" was still slow and out here on the Wet Coast where all of the roads are standing on end, the "R" was a low gear truck and an annoyance. I did an IHC 304 V8 swap that fit like it was made for the truck. Everything lined up, even the fan matched the OEM shroud. Economy improved by 50%, the power was just right, but the new brakes were not up to stopping the truck on their own because the 304 V8 had a 727 automatic transmission.
Back to the drawing board for the "R". I installed an IHC 6.9 V8, with a C6 automatic, NP 205 transfer case and Dana axles with 3:73 gears. When the 6.9 hit the governor at 65 mph, I added a Gear Vendors overdrive for another $3K I drove the "R" for 20 years and 225,000 miles with only basic maintenance. The comfortable cruising speed was 65- 75 mph and the "R" could stop because of the 4 wheel disc brakes.
Another engine that just fits is the 12 valve Cummins from a generation Dodge. The 6.9 V8 was heavy at 1150 pounds and under-powered. The economy was really good at 20+ MPG in US gallons. The Cummins 12 valve is about 150 - 175 pounds less and in either case, the frame will have to be strengthened a lot. If you can find a Cummins 4bta it is a really good fit, powerful economical and weighs the same as the original SD220 lump.
Attachments
R120 6.9.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am

Monsonmotors wrote:Full blown attack on driveability?
1) Disc brakes. They make 'em!
2) Newer trans with synchros if yours is without so you can shift faster.
3) Higher ratio (lower numerical) differential. Like 3:00 ish. You can add taller tires instead if you want to try that.
4) "Climatic choke" carburetor. The old push-pull choke has to go. TBI conversion (it can be done) is even better.

My take on this would be to make the truck appear stock while performing in a modern fashion. Also, I'd lower truck front and rear a few inches to lower c/g. Flip rear axle, drop front axle. All very doable.
A anti sway bar up front would round things out. Of course great lighting is needed with effective turn and brake lights.

Hi Monsonmotors

1) yes disc brakes...who makes the best kit for these trucks???....
2) Newer trans yes that would be wonderful too....what make and model should I be looking for?
3) Higher ratio rear end gears would be great too...what rear end should I be looking for?
4) Auto choke and TBI who makes these conversions kits?
5) Anti-sway bar yes that would be great too...what make and models or kits do I to be looking for?

yes all of those would be what I am looking for...just need to know where to look for these pieces to make this puzzle work for me...

I can still hear my dad calling his truck his "old binder" when it was out in the yard....

Thanks for any insight.....

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 am

To go 9 miles to work once in a while, I would leave it stock and drive 55. Ratio and rear disks are going to require a rear swap, Front disk can be fitted to stock axle. But be realistic on how much, how far you are going to drive it when it will get around 10 MPG?
Don't go overboard on modifications, 1st drive the thing how you are going to use it, than decide what changes are worth the time, and which aren't.
Next

Return to Miscellaneous