Brakes

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:56 am

Brakes

I have a 1975 International 500 series farm truck rated 23000 GVW. I am trying to do a brake job but find it extremely difficult to find parts through my local auto parts store. I'm told they only made this truck for a couple years, 1974 and 1975. This truck has duel wheel cylinders on the front. Finally found some cylinders that will fit but the brake lines won't work on them. Couldn't find shoes either, had to send them to be re-lined. Haven't found any online stores that even list a 500 series truck. Any one know where I can get parts for this truck or what other models will interchange?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Brakes

I am going to let you know right away that I’m not familiar with your truck at all. But, I will make some suggestions that I have seen from previous entries on this forum. If you’re in USA or Canada may make a difference.
1. Try your local International/Navistar dealer’s parts department. The size and model of your truck may still be listed.
2. While I’ve not tried, I’ve seen success reported from others with going online to RockAutoParts.com
3. Ask around at a local truck stop/maintenance shop.
4. You’ve tried your local auto parts store. Some have reported that NAPA auto parts is a good choice, but if that’s the one you went to, then forget I mentioned it.
5. Patience for someone else here with a better suggestion.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm

While it may not help get your brakes fixed, there is some info available to show how “rare” your truck is. I photo’d two pages from the Crismon big grey book on Internationals and they are below. One page refers to the 1974 Model 500 and the other page to 1975. You’ll notice that April 1975 was the end of production for the IH light line of trucks and it ended with a Model 500 cab and chassis.
Attachments
608CA52C-86E0-48D3-A0EA-9055DD92A79F.jpeg
Lower right caption is fuzzy, but if you can make it out, refers to the 1974 Mod. 500
23FADE78-1E86-4823-A9F8-5FFB8133EDE7.jpeg
Middle left and upper right captions refer to the 1975 Mod. 500
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm

call Summit Truck group in Topeka, KS. 785.235.8711. Talk to Layton Rudy. He is an old time parts man and he even still has the old micro/fish files for parts. He has helped me find parts for 2 1974 INT d-200 PU'S I have restored. A good good guy.
hope this helps you.
Good luick.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I've always had great luck with this company:
Valley Friction
11817 Sherman Way, North Hollywood, CA 91605
(818) 765-5174

Not to be confused with other companies of the same name, this is a small company employing only about ten people and started in 1973. I have no relation to them, but I have used them for brake parts for my entire life. Seems like I mostly only work on vehicles of the 50's and 40's.

Three yeas ago, the last time I went there they had, in stock, the master cylinder and hydrovac power unit I needed for my '64 International Loadstar. They must have about a dozen Shelves of brake and clutch part catalogs. I'm just very impressed with their old school approach to parts. For example, need a wheel bearing nut socket ... no problem, they have, in stock, every size from small car to large 8-point semi-truck and construction equipment sizes. If they can't get you the brake parts you need, I don't believe you will find them new anywhere. They also reline shoes and make hydraulic lines.

That being said, there are several companies that will reline your wheel cylinders and master cylinder with a stainless steel insert. There is also one or two companies I've found using google search that will reline brake drums, but I've never used them so I have no idea how expensive they are.

And as a last resort, get a parts catalog usually available on eBay if not available from https://www.ihpartsamerica.com (they recently bought out Binder Books) and do google searches using the part numbers. (Don't use dashes or spaces when doing google part number searches). I recently bought a new old stock Warn locking hub for my old Loadstar from an industrial electrical equipment surplus company. They had it listed for years as a Jeep locking hub but by the part number I knew it wasn't for a Jeep, but rather for my old Loadstar.

I hope this is of some help to people looking for old brake parts.

BTW, Warn does NOT support any of their locking hubs that are not in current production. If anyone knows of any company with a new old stock Warn locking hub or parts, IH part numbers - 501-157-C91 - or - 501-157-C92 - or - 506-591-C91 - or - 506-591-C92 - or - 506-592-C91 - or - 506-592-C92, please let me know.
Thank you, and sorry for the thread hijack.
Good luck.

Return to Miscellaneous