Paint Question

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Paint Question

I need to repaint the interior of my truck, years ago some dumb ass 15 year old kid decided it would look good painted black. How was I to know that 30 years later dad would give me the truck and stick me with the crappy job I did. Anyway here is the question. When I paint motorcycles or even cars I usually use ppg paint base coat and clear coat which is fine and when I paint things like the bush hog, grader box or a trailer I just use the paint from Tractor Supply or Rural King and just thin it with mineral spirits or acetone. I like just the two parts not having to use the primer, base coat and clear coat but I have to use stock colors. Does anyone know where I can get paint that I want to pick a custom color (International Gray) but just in a two part? What us old timers would think of as just acrylic enamel.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:09 am

Re: Paint Question

IHMO, some of the older NAPA stores may be able to still mix what you want. Otherwise, just ask at the older part stores. Unfortunately, most of the younger kids in the stores today have no clue as to what you will be asking for.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am

Check your local yellow pages or Google for automotive paint suppliers. Quite a few years ago I went to Superior Paint Supply in Salt Lake and had three cans of a nice Chevy light yellow made up. They had color chips from the 1950s and maybe even earlier. They could mix about anything you wanted in all sorts of formulations. For amateurs like myself they could even pack it in rattle cans. Very nice stuff. I was very impressed with the quality.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks guys,

You know I did not even think of NAPA, I remember dad buying paint there years ago.

Return to Miscellaneous