speedometer adapter for 2 spd axle-SOLD

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:51 pm

speedometer adapter for 2 spd axle-SOLD

I have a speedometer adapter for the 2 speed axle I dont need. It was on a gauge cluster I bought for parts. I cleaned it up and there is no visible damage; the rubber boot for the vac diaphram is intact. $40 and I'll cover shipping to the lower 48. International may be more.

Allen
Attachments
DSCN8635a.jpg
Last edited by BapaAllen on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:46 pm

Re: speedometer adapter for 2 spd axle

I bought a NP205 transfercase from a Travelall. It had a two speed speedometer adapter on the transfercase. I do not think I have the adapter now. Interesting stuff.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

BapaAllen wrote:I have a speedometer adapter for the 2 speed axle I dont need. It was on a gauge cluster I bought for parts. I cleaned it up and there is no visible damage; the rubber boot for the vac diaphram is intact. $40 and I'll cover shipping to the lower 48. International may be more.

Allen

I don't need it, but someone else may want to know- do you know the ratios of the two speed axle of the truck it came from? For the speedometer to be accurate in both high and low speeds, the adapter needs to match the axle.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Unless it came from a very large truck with a Timken (Rockwell, Meritor now) axle the Eaton planetary design used in most trucks with two speed axle all use the same ratio between low and high. It has to due with how much room and a how small you can make the planetary section and fit it inside the ring gear.
It is why all modern electronic speedo's with the 2 spd option are set at (I think, I may be off slightly) .775:1.
The Timken designed two speed axles use a spur gear primary reduction with two different ratios that can be close (like the Eaton) or wide, as the two speed section is not inside the final reduction but housed either on top (for top loading) or in front (for front loading) axles.
Most every adaptor like that will be for the close (Eaton) planetary rear axles.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:25 pm

I dont know what truck it came off of. It was attached to a K/KB speedometer in a cluster identical to my KB1. I just needed the speedo face and temp gauge. I found some numbers on the housing. They appear to be 675CDS3, (or very similar). Also found a patent # and "Stewart Warner" if that helps anybody.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Extremely few trucks fitted with two speeds, would have a two speed with a wide ratio axle, I would be surprised if they would exceed 0.1% of the two speed trucks produced. All other take the same adaptor.

Return to Miscellaneous