POWDER-COATING A FRAME

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41 pm

POWDER-COATING A FRAME

https://youtu.be/xVDy84rR5Z8
This video is about plastic coating rebar. The same problems apply to powder-coating a frame. I worked for a company that had hydraulic lift systems destroyed in a few years. The destruction could be traced directly to the powder coating being damaged. The dirty splashes from the roadway would get under the plastic coating where it was trapped and the oxidation would be accelerated. 5/16" steel plate was rusted through in a few years.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Re: POWDER-COATING A FRAME

I'd like to see a banning of chloride solutions for deicing. I have been saying it was going to be a problem for years.
A few years ago they were working on the bridge deck crossing a stream near my house (they were also rebuilding the road bed at the same time) They found large sections were the rebar was eaten all the way through.
Chlorides may seam like a quick answer, but in the long run, they do more damage.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:48 pm

Re: POWDER-COATING A FRAME

This city uses the brine on all of the roads and lanes, when they think it is necessary. The back lane here gets a brine spray because it is very steep. The garbage and recycling trucks use the lane every Wednesday. 20 years ago, one of the garbage trucks lost traction and skidded down the lane and took out the Hydro for the neighbourhood.
My 2002 Ram 2500 was rust free and in the last year or two the body rust has been showing up. I am considering selling the 2500 and getting something a little smaller and easier to get into. While the Ram has stayed the same size, the new and the "adjusted" parking stalls have gotten smaller. Fortunately for me, I am able to use the disabled parking where the stalls are wider.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Miscellaneous