Header bolts backing out

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 am

Header bolts backing out

FWIW. A little problem came my way that perhaps others can avoid by knowing about it. The SBC I installed with aluminum heads and Hooker headers started rejecting the header bolts. There is somewhere around 1,000 miles on it and the bolts were expected to stay tight, but haven't. As a result an exhaust leak developed and by the time I was able to address it, much of the exhaust header gasket had been eroded away. Wanting to address the problem only once and for all, I decided to get Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts and new gaskets. I've just put them on, so I don't have run time on them, but I can't see how the bolts could ever possibly back out now. The bolts are a little pricey, but "Shock and Awe" is the expected result. Couldn't find them at the local auto parts houses, so I ordered them from Jegs High Performance parts. Speed shops or other high performance engine builders may (or may not) have them.
Forewarned is forearmed.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Header bolts backing out

How about drilled headed bolts and saftey wire? Works to keep aircraft in one piece and should work for less money on your application.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Excellent suggestion CB. I hadn't thought of that. However, the Stage 8 Locking bolts are already in place. For me it was easier to order the bolts and swap them out. I also had to put new gaskets on. The left side was the only one leaking, however.
I've never drilled the bolts and safety wired anything before. I've seen it done and am certainly capable. Seems like a lot more work than swapping out bolts and installing the C-clips.
Thanks for the alternative suggestion!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:21 pm

You can buy the bolts pre drilled. You might have to go to an FBO (small air strip mechanic) to find them. Any place that supplies aircraft mechanics should be able to get them. You can even get allen head if clearance is a problem. I would go with true stainless lock wire on headers as mild steel wire will not last in that application. Somewhere I have a book of aircraft hardware that would have the "AN" number for the bolts you need. With that number it would be easy to call around.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ha/ ... nbolts.php
The above link will get you what you need, or rather others who might follow and want to go the lockwire route.
Humm, just noticed they have less then a full selection. I'll try and find a better supplier. :t2102:

Return to Miscellaneous