Castable Urethane for mounts

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Castable Urethane for mounts

Thanks Scott. I had finally located that same page and the number reference for the primer. Still couldn't find it on McMaster Carr until I found the page with the old car and the numbers on it, then suddenly searching it came up. The adhesive primer ADH 1001 from McMaster Carr is 8644K32. From their "casting urethane" pages it didn't show it but going in the back door it was with the prototype foam and casting compounds. It also showed they have a sample 4 ounce 80A, "Hard (Shore 80A) General Purpose Black Urethane Sample 8644K57 Each $17.50". The instructions warn about using all the compound in one mixing but tell you the ratio to mix by weight if you insist on doing otherwise. A lot more searching and learned the primary compound is packed with nitrogen in the can, if you don't mix and use it all when opened you need to either use in a few days or fill the can with nitrogen before closing. That and the shelf life is only about 6 months, I only got 4 months on the kit I bought. So would suggest anyone wanting to cast a small project order the trial size!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: Castable Urethane for mounts

After going back and ordering some primer adhesive to use on the steel parts to ensure I had a good bond, I finally got around to pouring my Tranny mounts. The spec sheet said they would have 80% strength in 48 hours so I waited 3 full days and installed them today. Test drive went well, got rid of the jack rabbiting start it was doing with the broken mounts. I didn't get a very good photo but here is the final product. I had made my forms out of thin plastic that some wiper blades came in, taped together and sealed corners with rtv sealant. The plastic peeled off easily without using mold release. They are not as pretty as the factory ones but less than half the cost.

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous