Castable Urethane for mounts

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Castable Urethane for mounts

Back on the old board there was a thread on repairing the old motormounts with a castable urethane. Can anyone tell me what product to use and where to get it? I did a search and only came up with items that looked to be more of a flexible rubber for making molds for plaster and concrete. I have tranny mounts on the Scout and motormounts on two travealls that need repaired. :bashhead:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Castable Urethane for mounts

Mike,
The last motor mount I made was out of the 80A urethane. I tried the 60A but it was too soft.
Tried to link the page on Mcmaster Carr but it didn't work. If you go mcmaster.com and do a search for casting compounds it should come up with the page for castable urethane.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 am

Here is the page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-casti ... ds/=nh3doz

this is their main page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Lots of stuff!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks guys!! Wish my memory wasn't so short, I couldn't remember enough to do a good search. Thanks again for pulling through for me!! :jester:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

If you can find a contact for "Windmiller" who used to frequent these board, he has a lot of experiance casting rubber parts for these trucks, and can tell you the pitfalls. He was haveing trouble getting good raw meterials, the stuff supplied was old, and would give a lot of voids in the cast.
He worked in the proto-type dept of a major auto mfg and had the skills and experiance to know what he was doing, even so, he found it to be difficult to get good, consistant results due to the difficulty of the meterial supplied and the relitive small number of castings done. Makeing a large production run, you can afford a few "throw a ways" but on the one-off, it became too expensive to do just a few.
Good luck, and I know the Mike (Windmiller) would gladly share what he has learned if you can contact him.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 am

It is possible that windmiller might be a member of other forums. Try Google with combinations of windmiller and other related information like IHC or urethane or truck or Binder.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 pm

I just tried the Google thing and I found him is several different forums. He may not frequent them either, but it is a start. There must be some YouTube video on this subject.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

You might try Smooth On Products, they have smaller trial size quantities available. Some of these compounds don't have a very long shelf life and urethane's are susceptible to moisture contamination. Since urethanes have a very short pot life I put my mold and urethane in a paint pressure tank with a regulator and put about 15 psi of air on the chamber, it shrinks the bubbles and gives a virtually void free part. you've got to leave it on overnite until full cure. Hope this helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:51 am

Finally getting around to starting to remake my tranny mounts. I have the 2 part urethane the 80A from McMaster Carr. I have my molds made and ready to mix and pour then read I should use a primer adhesive. I went to the mfg web page and found ADH1001 was the correct one to use but not finding it on McMaster Carr, or WW Grainger. I sandblasted the steel parts for rough texture for maximum adhesion. What did you use and if none how did it hold up? MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 am

Heed my siggy Mike... Google is my friend.

Used "ADH1001 primer"

Search results;
https://www.google.com/#q=ADH1001+primer

These were at the bottom...
http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/motor_ ... build.html

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/casting_product.html
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.
Next

Return to Miscellaneous