Good brake parts source

Links to IH related websites, books, literature resources and the discussion of them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:07 am

Good brake parts source

Hi,

I was looking for an ordinary 3/8 brake/clutch line. Went to two different auto parts stores. Second store, Autozone, insisted on looking it up by application rather than matching it. Second time I was asked "who makes International" by an auto parts store. Of course no luck. His computer showed everything Loadstar related as NLA.

I then went to a place called Valley Friction Materials. No computers! They had 6 feet of catalogs on one counter, two feet of double stacked catalogs on another part of the counter. And four shelves of catalogs I could see behind the counter. On one of the parts shelf ends they had every size wheel bearing nut socket displayed - from small ones to the extremely large 8 point wheel bearing sockets used on semi's or large construction equipment. Of course they had the brake line.

Turns out later I also needed the clutch master cylinder. They had it in stock. (For my Loadstar it's different from the clutch master cylinders used in Scouts and pickups). I asked them how long it would take to order a hydrovac if my truck should need it. He had those in stock too. He brought one from the back room and said this is the one my International should have. And it looked just like mine. Of course they also reline shoes and make hydraulic lines. Just thought I'd share a good parts store when I find one.

Valley Friction Materials
11817 Sherman Way
North Hollywood, California 91605
818-765-5174

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:10 am

Re: Good brake parts source

The main Question I would have: Do they Ship? Do they need to see the part? If not, This is a Very Valuable Resource. How are the prices

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:20 pm

lbesq wrote:The main Question I would have: Do they Ship? Do they need to see the part? If not, This is a Very Valuable Resource. How are the prices

I'm sure they would ship if you asked them. For my clutch master cylinder they needed to know the exact application and casting number, otherwise they don't need to see the part. They didn't need to see my hydrovac to know which one it needed.
However their prices are high (like all prices in Los Angeles), although it was my first time there. The clutch master cylinder was $125 and they wanted $175 for the hydrovac. But this is for the large diaphragm type, not the small piston type hydrovac used in IH pickup trucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:28 pm

That Hvac price is a bargain,going ballpark figures I've seen on the web range from $250 up with core charges $80-150. The MC is high,Dorman's are around $40-45 and Wagner about $20-25 more. That's less shipping though.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm

I was thinking the hvac sounded cheap, too. I wonder what they'd want for a 6-3/4" piston type.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Return to The Library