Phantom’s Stabelmate: ‘56 Porsche Speedster

Just keep it clean please....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Phantom’s Stabelmate: ‘56 Porsche Speedster

By request, here’s a little history of my ‘56 speedster. Phantom was the first vehicle bought and titled in my name, back in ‘86. The second longest tenured vehicle in my herd is my speedster. In my senior year in college, I took a shine to hot rods and replicas. The speedster, particularly the wide body really caught my imagination. I had pictures pasted to my wall and magazines everywhere. When I graduated, I decided I was going to get one. I didn’t have a garage, so decided to save my pennies and buy one already built. I opened a bank account just to save money and after three years I had enough and found just the right car in Ohio, even though it wasn’t s wide body. With a cashiers check in hand, my mother and I made the 8 hour drive on Friday and I drove the car home on Sunday. Have had a lot of fun with it, including using it as a prop for our wedding.

It started out with a 1600cc with dual Delortos, but after spinning a bearing, I swapped in a 1835 with dual Kadrons. It got relegated to my mother’s barn in 2008 when I needed the garage space to rebuild Mr. Hanky and it didn’t come out until we sold Mom’s place last year. It’s now at a shop in Gettysburg patiently waiting for my mechanic to give it s good once over, install from discs and maybe a few other upgrades. I’m not in a hurry because I don’t have garage space, but do look forward to driving it again.
Last edited by BennettMoe on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Bennett
http://www.mrhankscout.blogspot.com
'78 Scout II Mr. Hanky
'74 D200 4x4 Heavy D
'53 R-112 Phantom
'56 Porsche Speedster replica

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: Phantom’s Stabelmate ‘56 Porsche Speedster

Here she is...
Attachments
92D082E4-B45A-425F-AEB6-60216BC33A28.jpeg
--Bennett
'78 Scout II Mr. Hanky
'74 D200 4x4 Heavy D
'53 R-112 Phantom

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: Phantom’s Stabelmate: ‘56 Porsche Speedster

https://intermeccanica.com/ is a replica builder in this area. I do not think a replica will qualify an owner for PCA membership. I think a replica could be fun because much of the worry that goes with driving an original may not be there.
I sold my 356 and I regret it every day. I have had numerous 911s. My favorite will always be the 356
Attachments
side cabinet 2.png
356sc.jpg
My 356SC
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks for posting that. Nice car! Of all the different kit cars out there I think that's the one I'd like to build. It might be interesting to put a liquid cooled Subaru boxer motor in one, I know that swap is getting popular in old VW vans and bugs.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm

The 356 is the only Porsche I actually like. My old boss at the import shop owned two, a 59 356a coupe and a 55 speedster. both were great cars and generally easy to work on. The 59 was his daily driver and he had put a 1600 out of a super beetle into it and the original engine on a stand in the back of the shop.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:10 pm

One of the very few benefits of being older is the opportunity to have driven a few interesting cars. I drove a Porsche 904GTS. My friend had the car. This was back in the days before the 904GTS became a million dollar collectable. Another interesting fiend's car I had the pleasure of driving was a Lamborghini Muira SV. This is a car that is worth owning for the engine sound and not much else.
I owned a 250GTE for 24 hours. I sold it and doubled my purchase price. This was a fantastic sound machine.
The two most frightening cars I ever drove were the 930 Porsche and the surprising Dodge Neon SRT4 my son owned. The SRT was super fast and felt out of control, like a circus ride.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Yep, the beauty of the replica 355’s is the price and ability to drive it without the guilt or stress of beating up an original.

I also have a Crossfire SRT6. Damned fast car. A Neon SRT4 decided to take me in one day and to my surprise, kept up fairly well from a 55mph rolling start.
--Bennett
'78 Scout II Mr. Hanky
'74 D200 4x4 Heavy D
'53 R-112 Phantom

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 pm

While german engineering gives me no interest, glad you enjoy your car. Important question is, are you still with the beautiful bride in the picture?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:54 pm

From your moniker I guess you like British built stuff?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 pm

I had a wrecked 356 with a 1500. While I worked on the body (alas, it turned out to be too far gone, the P.O had "patched" in several places then slather undercoat, to hold in the moisture!) I placed the 1500 in a Bug. Not terribly fast, but could take a residential 90 turn at over 55 mph! Front stayed nailed to the road, a slight "twitch" of the steering and the rear would make the turn, counter-steering and keeping the power on! Never have I driven anything before or since that would handle a corner like that would.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion