Inline 6's

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:50 am

Inline 6's

Since we got way off topic on the chevy in a D, I thought I'd start a thread on the inlines of all makes here.
I've always been interested more in inline 6's than any other powerplant. From the Ranger inverted 6 aircraft engine to the CBX Honda motorcycle engine.
There have been some interesting engines made.
How many remember the Pontiac OHC inline? I always wondered why Ford was so quick to change designs in the 40's thru the 70's Their 223 was a good unit and is still found on stationary applications still running long after it disappeared from the line-up. Then they had the 200-250 car engine which was completely different from the 240-300 truck, which was a very good engine.
Chevy/GM's 230 250-292 was another, with 7 mains, it would last and was simple, at least until they cast the manifold and head as one in the later 250's.
Chry stuck with flatheads until the late 60's on the military Powerwagon, while the Slant 6 took over in civilian vehicles. They made some big Inlines back the 50's with the biggest being 426 CID flathead.
GM had there 503 which bested the IHC RD at the time in the displacement category.
Many do not know that Cummins produced a spark ign version of the 855, although it was not built for gasoline, but vapor fuel. It was called the "Rio Grande engine"
Hall Scott produced some really impressive advanced Gasoline 6's with OHC's and large displacements. Many found their way into Crown buses.
IHC had been making inlines for their trucks since the early 30's. Their designs were advanced enough that the basic design was un changed until their demise in the late 60's and early 70's.
WHile GM and Ford adapted the same lay out for the inlines as their other engines short(er) stroke and large (er) bore, Chry and IHC went for longer stroke on a smaller bore. This limited RPM but maximized torque. The 225 slant 6 had over a 4" stroke on a 3.4 bore. The 269 and 308 IHC also had over 4" stroke with a smaller bore.
AMC made a good 6 that outlasted everybody else! Then there was the OHC version (Cyclone??) that made its way into the militay light trucks.
I can't think of one inline 6 that was a total disaster, all were good, some were better than others, but all were reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: Inline 6's

Cummins Westport CNG engines are having problems, or so it is reported on the Internet. I don't care enough to dig into this bit of information. If I were to guess, I would think the Cummins engines are not the fail point. Cummins have had a few sparked engines but Diesel is what they are known for.
My ex employer has more than1500 Cummins C Series powered vehicles, in mostly Diesel. There are maybe 100 in CNG. I will ask next time I visit with the guys. The brutal truth is found on the floor, and much less likely in the office.
Before I retired the transition was happening from the Silver 6V92 DD to Cummins. I am told there might be 4 DD left in the system.
I was there to witness the last of the 12V71, from the marine division, being replaced with DD Series 60, 14 liter. The 12 cylinder DD made the best sound on the dyno.
I have to say, the electronic DDEC on the Detroit two stroke engines, nearly saved the series. But, the emissions and poor fuel economy is what finally killed the two stroke off. I have to think that uncontrollable leaking may have contributed to the emission fail.
https://youtu.be/pQnA6nsgZEo
https://youtu.be/eEKwI4XqHo0
https://youtu.be/S-lRXRLWVRg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:37 pm

The spark ign Cummins is NOT the Westport conversion, The Rio Grande was a spark ign from the get go, it had unique head, cam and pistons. CPL94, 95 and 96. These were small cam engines. HP up to 250. They also made gas version of their bigger engines.
A trip across western Kansas and you'll see all kinds of stationary pump engines from small to really large Cat and Cummins running on vapor fuels.
In all my time being around the NT series Cummins, I have only laid hands on one Rio Grande engine. It was a generator. Odd duck to be sure. I have been around some fair big generators, V Cats and Waukesha's.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Westport ESI technology allows, for the first time, a spark-ignited natural gas engine to exceed the performance of a comparable state-of-the-art diesel engine," said Brad Douville, Vice President Business Development for Westport.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I am a lifelong fan of inline six engines! I have never owned a car even my first vehicle was a 10 year old 1965 Ford Econoline van with a straight six. I have had them ever since in trucks and Jeeps by International, Ford Chevrolet, Dodge, Toyota and AMC and they nearly all with the exception of the Toyota have been good engines that served the vehicle well within its design parameters. Probably my all time favorite is the Ford 300 six. Well made with 7 main bearings and reliable I have owned one for the past 25 years in my 73 Ford F250 4x4. The motor was worn out when I bought it ( these motors run forever if you just change the oil and filter when you are supposed to) so I carefully rebuilt it with the help of a good machine shop and all these years later it does not use oil and is strong as ever. The truck has been my main truck for my contracting business since 1993, It is great on gas and has plenty of power. People always wanted me to swap in a 460 V8 but I'd say no way this is all the engine I need. I was working 40 miles from home building a log cabin for a client in a remote area when the excavating contractor who was always putting my six down had his truck quit on the jobsite. With my inline six I towed his full size truck with a large equipment trailer that had a big excavator on it all 40 miles home and my truck never broke a sweat. I still rib him about that now and then.

The SD220 in my 51 L112 was another favorite. Seized when I bought it with who knows how many miles, after soaking the cylinders in WD 40 and carefully breaking the rings loose it ran like a top for the 8 years I had it and I'm sure it is still running well for its current owner.

So yes I am an inline six nut! A neighbor down the road is trying to give me a 258 AMC six and as much as I don't need it and have nothing to put it in at the moment I will probably cave in and go and get it.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 am

I maintained a fleet of airport shuttle vans, 2 Chevys with 350 4bbl and 4 Fords with 460 4 bbls. I wasn't involved with the purchase, but for what they did, 3 miles to the airport, then stop at every terminal and 3 miles back, they should have had 292's and 300 inlines.
The Fords got the most use, and once I got the oil straighten out, all gave good service. The previous guy ran SAE 30 all year round.
Since the vans never shut off once they were started in the early morning until after mid-night I ran SAE 40 during warm weather and 10-40 in cool. Doubled the engine life from what the previous guy had. The reason was, when hot, at low idle, there wasn't enough flow to make up for the thin oil. They spent a lot of time idleing keeping the van warm or cool depending on the season.
The only question was if the 6's could run the big A/C units at idle, but with a solenoid to kick up the engine speed at idle under A/C load I'm sure they would have done fine.
The hotel generated all its own power (off grid) and they ran SAE 40 in the big Cat's and Waukasha's so I had a ready supply of it. I bought the 10w-40 by the drum from the same supplier.
I installed and insisted on the use of block heaters in the cold (we were after all generating the power, so cost was minimal)
The V-8s were still going strong after 250 K miles, and I'm sure the inlines would do even better.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:58 am

Another place I worked had a relatively rare IHC dump truck. It was a early 70's duel rear wheel 1200 with the AMC 258 and 4 speed. Couldn't exceed 45 MPH but would out pull the Chevy C-30 with a 350 V8. FOr some reason (likely the lighter front end) wouldn't get stuck as easly in soft ground either.

Return to Non-IH discussion