Parts lot buys

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Parts lot buys

I know some of you (Nikki) have been able to buy a large lot of vintage parts. I was able to stumble on one such, although much smaller buys. How did you hear of it?
In my total lifetime of working on cars and trucks, only once did I hear of one such. IIRC I was in highschool and for a side job cleaned out basements and garages, The jobs I got were word of mouth, Had a pick-up truck and would loaded it up. One such job the owner of the house used to work on school buses. There were a fair number of "odd parts" vacuum gauges, switches and such, but not a lot of stuff that had much value.
Judgeing by what is on E bay, some people hear and have the chance to buy large lots quite often.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Parts lot buys

One of the bikers I used to ride with knew of my interest in OLD IHC. He knew I had a small collection of spare parts. He had a double garage size storage locker filled with L&R 51, 52, and 1953 bits and pieces. He asked if I were interested and said he wanted to make a package deal. About a month later I was able to meet at the locker and have a look. There was what turned out to be nine pickup truck loads of stuff. This lot included two trucks with legal registrations, one dealer rebuilt engine with the work-order and bucket full of original fasteners. I gave away more than 6 transmissions and lots of shift linkages. I got 12 or so under dash heaters, radios, interior mirrors, sets of inside sunvisors a NOS "L" grill and a NOS "R" grill and NOS tailgate. There was six or more not rusted tailgates and many sections of running boards in many different lengths.. Included was more than 40 gauges and a few mechanical IH tachometers. I still have a few OEM tachometer and speedometer drive cables. I have not counted the dashboard knobs but there are more than a few.
In this lot there was an interesting vacuum driven air circulation fan, it is a keeper.
I kept about half of the stuff and gave a bunch to MAGIHC. The buckets of fasteners went into the company steel recycling along with any heavily rusted sheetmetal.
I kept a good short box, it is an original wood floor model. I have 19 very good doors, 10 of then right-side "L". I sold a left door for $750 and then the cost of the locker contents was covered.
I used to drive my R120 everyday, summer and winter. It was like a calling card. I was often stopped on the street and offered another IHC pickup. The owner was trying to appease an angry wife or more often had run out of money and the project had to go. I got 14 L&R complete trucks this way. A few of these were driven here and MUNDIES towing delivered the others. One of the "R" trucks was pulled from the center of a flooded field. The owner waded out and hooked the winch cable to the frame. The water was deep enough to cover the floor. The owner sat in the seat and guided the flooded IH to the edge of the field and onto the tilt-deck tow-truck.
I used to see these old IHC abandoned pickups around fairly often. I have not seen any running or parked for a few years.
I did see a large "R" cab dual axle gravel truck sitting next to a construction site. The foreman aid I could have anything I wanted for free, but I had to take what I wanted that day, because the truck was going to scrap the next morning. I took the fresh-air heater, all of the gauges and the tach-drive distributor. I removed the complete dash with gauges. On another occasion, I traded a free-to-me 1963 running and licensed IHC pickup straight across for an "R" pickup parked in a back yard. The owner put a battery in the "R" and drove it to my place.
I have reached that time in my life where age and all that goes with it has caught up with me. I dont know what I want to do with all of this "junk". My kids and I have plans to turn some of the stuff into trucks. After that, I do not know.
Attachments
CREWCAB FRONTG.jpg
ORRVILLE RIGHT FRONT.jpg
FIRST ENGINE FIT-UP.jpg
WELLS CARGO ihc STORAGE.jpg
IHC parts inside
trico vacuum fan.jpg
TRICO FAN
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Non-IH discussion