" equal " firing order

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 pm

" equal " firing order

Does anyone out there know what that phrase------ " equal " firing order means ? I read it recently in a " Classic Car " magazine article. It was in reference to a 1941 Dodge straight-six flathead engine. There are a number of terms that I readily admit my ignorance of......another one is " torque tube ", in reference to the driveshaft. And how about a " Hotchkiss-type differential " ? Or a " three-quarter floating rear axle " ? Or Cadillac's V-8's " fork-and-blade " connecting rod design ? Or Cadillac's use in their 1950 V-8's of an " oversquare design " in the block, and pistons with " slipper-type skirts " ?

Is there a book out there that anyone knows of, that us dummies could use to educate ourselves on the meanings of some of these terms ????
I LOVE Classic Car magazine, but it sure impresses on me how much I DON'T know !!!!!!!!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Re: " equal " firing order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firing_order

Definition of torque tube. : a tube surrounding the propeller shaft of an automotive vehicle to take the torque and being usually a unit with the rear-axle housing at the rear but with a universal joint at the front where it is supported by a cross-frame member or by the rear end of the transmission case.

An engine is described as over square or short-stroke if its cylinders have a greater bore diameter than its stroke length, giving a bore/stroke ratio greater than 1:1

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/68-70-c ... -hotchkis/

http://www.mechanicalengineeringblog.co ... vuEfExFyUk

http://www.tpub.com/engine3/en3-51.htm
You can Google anything that I missed. Google is what I used to copy and paste the answers you wanted
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am

Hochkiss drive refers to a common differential/axle.
Semi floating, 3/4 floating and full floating, refers to how the loads are carried on the rear axle. A full floating axle both the axial and radial loads are carried on the axle housing itself, and the axle shaft is "floating" in that it see's none of these loads, the other two, the axle shaft itself carries some of these loads.
Over square is a way of saying the engine bore is larger than the stroke.
Fork and blade, is where the two connecting rods aren't on a common journal side by side, like most V engines but interposed with each other. The centerlines of the cyl are the same,(and therefore the rods are also) so one connecting rod ends in a forked end and the other a blade that fits between the fork rod. It allows the V engine to be shorter than if the cyl have to be staggered to put the connecting rods side by side. A rather complex and weak system. Another way to accomplish the same thing is to have one connecting rod a "Master rod" and the other connecting rod connects to this rod and is a " slave" rod. Radial aircraft engines often use this system. It is stronger than fork and blade, but can lead to complex timeing as the slave piston doesn't doesn't exactly match the crank throw.
Slipper vs. trunk skirts: A trunk type piston the bottom of the piston is the same all around, like a piece of tube cut off. A slipper skirt has portion of the skirt cut away, so it is longer in line with the pin then 90 degs to the pin. The allows the piston to come lower in the bore and still miss the crankshaft counter weights and also allows the pin to be higher in the piston and still articulate enough for long strokes.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Hey, thanks, guys !!!! I appreciate you taking the time to help somebody else understand some of the" mystery " terms that seem to pop up sometimes !! :-)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 pm

CB89 is the only person who knows it all. The rest of us rely on GOOGLE SEARCH. You can be almost as smart as CB89 if you sue GOOGLE SEARCH now and then. I think you might have used Google Search to find this forum.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Non-IH discussion