The real reason Nikki sold his bike

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: The real reason Nikki sold his bike

By the end of August, 2017, there were 18 motorcycle fatalities and dozens of injuries. This year, 2018, in the same time period, there are 30 motorcycle fatalities and more than double the number of serious injuries.
On my way to breakfast this morning , a large unsecured box blew off a trailer and landed on the road. The following motorcycle rider was able to a avoid a collision by centimeters.
The traffic is heavier every month.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am

I've been riding since I was twelve and now at age sixty three I am still loving the sport and there are no signs of me slowing down. I generally have at least three bikes in my garage, one road, one dualsport and one dirt bike to cover all the bases and I do a lot of travel on them in the western United States and Canada in the summer months. I've even had a fling or two with sidecar rigs but my first love is two wheels. Not a one brand guy I've owned nearly all of them at one time or another. I suppose what I want to say here is to my non riding friends I always tell them you were born with the good sense to stay away from motorcycles and not riding shows good judgement on your part. Me I'll probably ride till the **** things kill me but good judgement is not my strong suit. :lol: In all seriousness I think it is a choice that every rider will make as to when to hang up the helmet, that comes to us all sooner or later. I have riding friends that quit 10 years ago with no qualms and one who is 80 and still rides dirt bikes better then men half his age. The best we can do is to recognize when it is time to quit.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:15 pm

The traffic in this area rivals that of Los Angeles , in congestion, not volume. In 2017 there were 17 motorcycle fatalities. This year, 2018, there were 32 motorcycle deaths. I would rather be killed than to survive with a life of pain, loss of mobility and $hitting my pants while depending on another person to scrape my leg.
I have been lucky to have had only one collision in just less than 60 years of riding.
Surprisingly, I seldom think about the motorcycle and, so far, I do not miss the ride. There used to be 21 of us that got together, in various number and rode somewhere several time a week. There are three of us left. Old age took about half of the guys and the others were victims of crashes. My motorcycle insurance was the same amount as the insurance on my 4X4 Dodge Ram. In the last 10 years, my insurance was costing me about 75 cents per kilometer because I was not riding very far and the insurance cost the same, annually.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:46 pm

That part luckily is very different for me. I live outside a small town in a remote area so I have little to deal with in the way of traffic unless I'm traveling. At home the first place I head for is the deserted back roads. Sadly these days there are way too many people behind the wheel of automobiles busy texting, eating, putting makeup on and who knows what else when they should be watching the road instead! Just the fact that every newer vehicle has a view screen on the dashboard for GPS and "information" gives me the willies!
56 S120 4x4,
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion