Do Not Call list

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 am

Do Not Call list

For all members in the USA: If you're like us, you are again being FLOODED with unwanted phone calls from solicitors selling everything from ant-eaters to zebras. I just emailed my Rep. and both Sen.'s in Congress, urging them to urge their colleagues to " kick the FCC in the butt, and direct them to put a stop to the harassment----N O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
If each of you do the same thing, and try to convince all your families and friends to do likewise, and to spread the word to everyone they know, ...........who knows ? Maybe we could make a difference !!!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: Do Not Call list

It is a pain, They will tell you there is nothing they can do about it. They can put the screws to the phone companies, They "rent" large blocks of numbers to known organizations that "spam" call. It is all about the Benjamins.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Our last conservative government made a do not call list an made the list available to the problem call companies. The list instantly became a resource for numbers missed and our situation got worse. I have had three calls today. Two were on the land line and one on my BlackBerry.
Sorry, I've got to get the front door, it looks like the Mormons are here. The seventh day adventists usually come on Friday. :t0116:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm

I've been in customer service since the mid 1970s and I was taught to be polite. Even to robo-calls. However, after ten years of self-employment I pride myself on being able to hang up on a telemarketer within their first syllable.
:)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 am

One trick you have to be careful about with these calls is answering "yes" to ANY question. They can edit the recording to make like you said yes to whatever they were selling.

So when they ask "Is this Gary?" my answer is "This is Gary."

Or my better all purpose response which is a firm "click" followed by dead air.

Mom and Dad got called a few years ago by one of those scammers claiming to be my son and in jail in England. Luckily they were too sharp for that.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:58 am

do not call lists do now work. caller id is great. I just do not answer if it is from a number I do not recognize. from what I have read, most of those calls are generated off shore, where our regulators do not seem to have any sway. Our elected officials don't do anything that their voters want, because lobbyists have them by the ying yang.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 am

"Our elected officials don't do anything that their voters want, because lobbyists have them by the ying yang."

Pretty much sums up why you can't trust any politician, the people you'd like to see in office will never run and the people who run aren't who you want to see in office.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 pm

I know a guy who strung a telemarketer along for 20 min, then end the call with " I just gave 30 other people piece from you not calling them". I don't have the patients, and I have no qualms about being "rude" to people I didn't give my number too or ask the to call me, I think they are rude.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Every time that you answer one of these types of calls, It confirms that the number is "active" and I believe it gets passed around all over. I have a "free" block program on my cell phone. If they do not leave a message, I automatically put the number in the block list. I do "research" the numbers to see if I can figure out who it might be, or if it is already listed in one of the online data bases as spam. I have the time, I realize a lot of people do not.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Locally we were asked to have our # put on the no call list. I did not as I figure that list will get SOLD. We dont have a land line and I only get a couple calls a year. From Freaking LEONS furniture. I told them take me off the list. I think I will have to go to customer service desk again and this time raise my voice,,,maybe get up on the counter:)
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion