PRO "PAIN"

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

PRO "PAIN"

CB89 or Monsonmotors or anyone, can you offer a few ideas?

I may have committed to buy a not bad looking GRUMMAN 1-1/2 ton step-side van. This Grumman is licenced and running and ready for a test drive.
This Grumman is propane fueled. The GMC 5.7 litre engine starts and idles really well. The power is a little low, but then it is burning propane. This van appears to operate as one might expect until 60kmh. (35mph) No amount of encouragement will push the Grumman over 60KMH.
One of my concerns is driving it from there to here. While the route is a little rugged and there are two steep sections, I do not want to block traffic. I am checking for an alternate route.
My first thoughts are fuel starvation, maybe a plugged filter. The propane tanks are full.
I do not know, at this time, if this truck is dual fuel. I understand there is a possibility the ECU may have been re-flashed for the fuel change.
The system may be an after market installation because there is a gasoline tank under the truck. I cannot say if the propane conversion is an add-on system that uses the throttle body or is a dedicated propane carburetor, the seller does not know this situation. If I go to look at this Grumman, I will have to travel about 2 hours each way.
My reason for entertaining buying the Grumman is storage for a bunch of Old IHC truck parts. I need to get these parts out of the weather. I lost my third rag and tube Costco carport canopy, two weeks ago. My neighbour two doors down the lane never has a wind problem, with his canopy, because he is sheltered by his neighbour's big garage. . My carport is lined up with the space between the two houses across the lane. One of these neighbours always has his sturdy fence blow down. This last wind was strong enough to rip the canopy post mounts out and the canopy was trying to fly away.
The interior dimensions are 14 feet from the driver protection rack to rear door, 16 feet from firewall to rear door
79 inches wide, 41 inches between wheel wells, 80 inches floor to roof
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Re: PRO "PAIN"

I had a 1945 K 3 pickup that someone trashed in an Olds 400 with 350 turbo with borgwarner overdrive scabbed to the 350 turbo, (That is a story of its own)

but motor was converted to propane, I hated it, no power, lousy mileage
Had to wait for attendant to fill it, no self service with propane in WA state,
Had to pay sales tax on the propane,

But if you are just using it for rolling storage, probably ok.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 pm

wrote a long post that disappeared into the ether. If it has gasoline stuff, I'd see if I could get it running on gasoline. I need to know if it is "fogged" (Lp mixed above the throttle plate) or if the OEM system was converted to meter LP at the injectors. LP in cold weather is not a good mix.
For LP to be good the CR needs to optimized for LP at around 12-13 :1 That makes it too high to burn pump gasoline. LP has higher "octane" but lower heat content than Gasoline.
Might even be cheaper to have it towed home.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi, Nikki!
CB disagrees but TBI is wonderful in my opinion if that's what it has. I would resurrect the TBI.
I have never, ever seen a GM ECU for TBI reprogrammed for propane. I doubt that's what it is.
Propane is noticeably lacking in ooomph when a vehicle is retrofitted.
Take or send some engine bay pictures.
The GM TBI is so simple to diagnose and repair. 13 psi only max fuel pressure. Speed Density fuel injection (map sensor and dist. speed). You can scan with any snap-on "brick" scanner.
I'll be more than glad to answer any questions.

Return to Non-IH discussion