"engine turning/jeweling"

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 pm

"engine turning/jeweling"

Was just wondering......does anyone out there know where the term " engine turning " comes from ???? " Jeweling ", I can understand, and the " ______ turning " part, I can understand-----obviously something is "turning" to produce that effect. But, " engine _______"------? Where did they come up with "engine" ????? It takes some imagination to find it, if one is just surfing the net looking for it, if one doesn't know the proper name for it.........

I'm really curious to see if anyone out there can come up with bona fide proof of where the term came from.......you know, cite an article from an 1860's "Scientific American" magazine, or some such thing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: "engine turning/jeweling"

Google engine turning. I did and there is all the information you need to know.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 am

I recall being awestruck when as a kid my Dad showed me how to do this with a piece of dowel rod chucked up in a hand drill and some valve lapping paste.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:39 am

From Google:
A rose engine lathe is a specialized kind of geometric lathe. The headstock rocks back and forth with a rocking motion or along the spindle axis in a pumping motion, controlled by a rubber moving against a rosette or cam-like pattern mounted on the spindle, while the lathe spindle rotates. Rose engine work can make flower patterns, as well as convoluted, symmetrical, multi-lobed geometric patterns. The patterns it produces are similar to that of a Spirograph, in metal. No other ornamental lathe can produce these "rose" patterns. The decoration produced by a rose engine lathe is called guilloche. It sometimes confused with "jewel finishes" or engine turning, a much cheaper process of making swirly marks in metal by a rotating abrasive peg or pad, which is repeatedly applied to the surface to make a pattern of overlapping circles. Jewel finishes used to be common on stereo faceplates and automobile interiors.
As you can see, “engine turning” is a simpler method derived from the more intricate technique which used the Rose Engine Lathe.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 pm

I used to build "lowers" bad weather wind and road debris deflectors for the Harley Davidson Electroglide Classic. I made these pieces from stainless steel. I used 3M roll-lock Scotch Brite discs to add a surface "engine turned" design to the front surface, if someone requested. This was time consuming and therefore expensive hand-work.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 490&rt=rud
I used the discs in a drillpress after installing a fence to guide the work. I marked the work at intervals so I could get a consistent travel pattern.
It is very likely this work has "engine" in the name because at one time most shop machinery was driven from an overhead line shaft and that shaft was driven by a separate steam "engine" or an internal combustion "engine". My older South Bend Late is called an "engine" lathe. It was made in 1945. I also have a much newer British lathe and "engine" is not in the name.
https://youtu.be/OWwQ6TPui5I
I have subscribed to Dave Richards Old Steam Powered Machine Shop.
There was a similar machine shop and Black Smith shop in our town, about 7 miles from Dad's farm. I remember going there with my Dad many times when I was less than 10 years old.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Well, I have to say, I'm delighted that a number of members had such in-depth knowledge of these terms !!!!! I've said this before, and I say it again: The forums on this web site are the premier place to find an answer to just about any question one might have regarding automotive and-or IH related subjects. This particular post is a prime example.
Many thanks to the fellas who responded !!!!!!!!!

Return to Non-IH discussion