Looking for a fender

Just keep it clean please....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:51 am

Looking for a fender

Hi, I've not posted on here for a while, I have used my 51 L112 this year but not that much, apart from a minor wiring repair and freeing/lubricating of the factory throttle linkage that is a common problem, truck is doing great!

I am posting here looking for local knowledge of people over in the USA (I live in England). Although I normally can find parts for vehicles I have, I am really struggling to find a front drivers fender for a 68 Ford Torino I bought last year, which I would have thought not a problem to find......Does anyone here know of one being broken/a breakers I could try that might have one of these? I keep checking ebay etc, have looked on Craigslist but to date not found one other than needed quite big repair so not worthwile. The fender on mine could be repaired but has a hole in the top of it, by the time it is repaired would need the complete top replacing. Patch panels are available for behind the wheel etc but not the top as it is not normally where they need repairing, it seems the building where the car was stored over 40 years had a hole in the roof above the fender on my car......I joined a couple of Ford forums and posted on these but nobody has come back with anything yet, plus, as a complement to people here, they don't seem as interested/enthusiastic......I have always found people here helpful and am trying to tap into local knowledge as if I can't find something in an advert, I am too far away to come searching. They do not reproduce a fender for this car either, yet.
I am sure a fender for one of these cars cannot be too difficult to find, they made enough of the cars? So, I would be grateful if anybody could please inform me where they might have seen a 68 Torino being broken, or where might be a likely place I could try. If I obtain one, it will likely ship out of Florida so near there would be good if possible, or failing that, vehicles ship out of California to England so there would be good also.
Thanks, Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Looking for a fender

http://wasney.com/
Try this business. If they don't have a fender, they will know where to get one.
My question is this, why would you anyone want a Torino? I had a Torino Police Interceptor with a 429 engine. I pulled the engine and 9 inch
Detroit Locker differential and sent the rest to scrap. I got the Torino for free and I thought that was too much. The engine and differential were gone in 24 hours.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Every make and model has its fans and detractors, "our's not to ask why, our's to help where we can" to paraphrase someone. I've been known to express a fondness for "A" body Dodges and Peugeot 504's in my time and am still welcome here.
I didn't look thru their listing but...
https://tabcoparts.com/
Might be worth a look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for the spanking daddy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Central California is a good place to find these cars. Just so dry, here.
My neighbor has the car you are talking about. "Tommy Too-Fast" and his hot-rod Torino fastback is quite the legend. He probably knows where that fender is. I'll ask.
IF I CAN CATCH HIM. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:32 pm

My grandpa had a 72 Ferd Torino Wagon with a 351 Cleveland motor 42K on it,

I had to sell it for him in the 90s, couldn't give it away, we finally got $100 bucks for it from a demo derby guy, we watched him smash it up on 4th of July big demo derby, grandpa got his $100 worth of entertainment,

Now Wagons are red hot, probably could get $4-5K now as it sat, oh well,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:09 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:http://wasney.com/
Try this business. If they don't have a fender, they will know where to get one.
My question is this, why would you anyone want a Torino? I had a Torino Police Interceptor with a 429 engine. I pulled the engine and 9 inch
Detroit Locker differential and sent the rest to scrap. I got the Torino for free and I thought that was too much. The engine and differential were gone in 24 hours.

Haha, i KNEW someone would say this, and thought it might be you :) :) :) Not really a Ford guy myself normally, but read on, i think only a small percentage of car guys would not see some attraction in this......
I bought the car last year from an estate sale, the owner of the car was a doctor, he had a collection of 108 cars......he had the car from new and was the only owner the car had before i bought it, car was put away in 1974, so stood in the same spot and not run in 42 years, until the time i bought it.....
The car is a 1968 Torino Indy Pace Car convertible, i never knew they did one!!! This car was not a customer ordered car, it was one of 159 given to Indianapolis Area Dealers as a promotional vehicle for the 68 Indy 500. The car was given by Jack Thrasher Ford to the WTHI CBS Television/Radio station in Terre Haute, IA. The family who owned the station also owned the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Hulman family). The car was given to their Television production director, Paul Denehie, who used it to run film crews back and forth to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, during the month of May..... It was also used to run some of the race car drivers from the Indianapolis Speedway to the Speedway Motel..... Drivers that were in the car at one time or another, were Bobby Unser, Johnny Rutherford, Bruce Walcup, Bill Vukuvich Jr and Larry Dickson. I have a lettter from Paul Denehie, to the owner of the car, confirming the above.
The car is very, very, original, very good chrome, interior, still wears the Ford service parts oil filter, plugs etc, original protective plastic is still on the seats. It now runs and drives but is still being recomissioned etc. It has cleaned up nicely but has taken some work due to being in a Raccoon occupied barn so long, but still needs some localised body/paintwork/detailing to preserve rather than restore it.
I have never seen/owned a car that is documented like this one, the paperwork is unbeleivable, from build /order sheets to the pre release card that tells who checked the tires when new, to a small notebook that tells every time the car had fuel added, where, mpg etc, from when the car was new right up to when it was parked in 1974. Theres Indianapolis memorabilia, even the information sent by Ford to its dealers to instruct and advise them how to offer and promote the cars. In addition to the above i have lots more documentation not listed, including Ford servicing receipts, handbooks, letters from Ford etc.
So, to answer your question, Nikki, i like anything unusual, like the Internationals rather than a Chevy etc, but thought this was very unusual and together with its history and originality, thought it was worth buying!! :D :D :D
Thanks for the link you posted to the parts, i did have a quick look and searched on the website for a fender but it did not come back with anything, i will maybe give them a call instead.
Thanks, Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Conbinnder 89, Monsonmotors, thanks for your replies/links, i will take a look.... i like a wide variety of USA vehicles but have to say, GM and Mopar are my passions when it comes to the cars, i really rate/have owned mainly musclecars, now on my 4th 4-4-2 Olds, again because it is not a Chevelle, Camaro etc and more unusual/not likely to be another if i take it somewhere!! Plus, its not just a fast car, people say "nice car, is it fast?" to which i reply, "yes, but theres a difference between fast and eerie, this is eerie!" :) Car has a built 455 big block. Monsonmotors, would appreciate you talking to your neighbour if you can, as you say, if he owns one of these type cars he probably knows where parts are, i could also use a few other parts which i think are unique to a convertible.
Paul.
Last edited by green68 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Wow! That is some special provenance. My wicked heart has softened a little and, with a little effort, I could get a tear in my eyes.
I'm glad there are people who save these cars. Lots of luck with the fenders.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Wow, thats a hell of a story. Maybe once in a life time. Where about in England are you? Im in Northamptonshire. Luke
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion