Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:50 pm

The Beast gets a skin treatment

yiyiy.jpg

tree.jpg
I love using my Iwata spray gun more than anything.[ But]
There are times that a brush is the right tool. IMHO
I was suprised my old H150 lift truck dtdnt have 10 coats of paint. The military gives paint and brushes to make busy work in slack time. Somtimes machinery gets slathered with paint.
This old lift only had one repaint and it was worn thin.
I like sandblasting and doing quality paint but this machine is a tool and not a show truck
I just replaced the head gasket and fixed carb. linkage and wiring problems. Neglected things that didnt keep it from working but you had to hold your mouth just right and wiggle this and that . I'm still fixing.
You need to be able to get in the seat [THATS TRASHED] and concentrate on the job.
Anyway I just scrubbing with purple power and a scotchbrite and brushing on some Van Sickle oil base.
There wasnt really any old flaking paint.
Two heavy brush coats and it smothed out nice. It's Ag yellow. I wanted to be able to find it when I need it

My 11 year old grandson is in love eith it. I taught him some things and told him it would squash him like a bug or cut off an arm real easy.
It took me back. When I was about 12 my granddad bought a 9n ford and put in behind the shed. He handed me a quart of gunk a gallon of paint and a putty knife. I scraped it clean and painted.. Dad or grandpaw hadn't been back to check my progress in weeks. The tractor was for his retirement property. Weeks later my parents were gone to the cabin for the weekend. I figured I wouldnt get caught going for a ride. They came early and I was crusing down the road. I had been starting it and been playing with the clutch and gears for weeks
Dad told me to get my a== home and park It. He then took the roter bug out of the distributor, Ruined my day.
I have been hooked on castiron machines from then on to now.
Three years later at 15 I was living with my grandparents in a shed for the summer while building his retirment home. My grandparents were using a portable toilet. My grandpaw was throwing the plastic bags of goodies over the fence. He told me to brushhog the pasture. He was standing there watching me as I came along the fence. I hit those bags full of s=== and it splattered all over grandpaw and the car and shed. I can still see it.
We slept that night smelling the ? I never used the portable. I just found a place and went. Never let it ferment in bags and mow them over

I had to stop painting. To cold this week
Last edited by mikelud on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Re: The Beast gets a skin treatment

Back in 1950 I started school in a one room building. Grades one to four crowded the room. In the fall and winter the only lighting was from hanging kerosene lamps. Rural electrification came in 1951.
There was a separate cottage and an out-door toilet for the teacher. The students had two outhouses someone marked with POINTERS AND SETTERS. In the distant past, someone had loosened one of the boards near the ground at the back of the SETTERS wood outhouse. The story was someone would lift the loose board and holler, "Hey, we are trying to work down here." This would cause some screaming and the Setters rushing outside. I have to think there may have been some level of cooperation between the Pointers and Setters because I was witness to this scenario being repeated more than a few times by the same participants.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

The minds of children work in every way you can imagine. The freedom of those years.. In my family we were given more work than most but had our freedom.
It sounds like you grew up in a rural small town. I think it's' refered to as a hamlet up north.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 pm

This was a country school. It has been gone for 65 years.
http://www.learnenglishlanguagewell.com ... fferences/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Non-IH discussion