Dierk's Garage

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Dierk's Garage

If I haven't mentioned it before I'm trying to recreate an early machine shop/ motorcycle/automotive/ truck repair shop in my 1910-era barn.
I've purchased a 1920s Weaver tire changer, an early non-hydraulic Weaver floor-jack for moving dead cars in the shop, an early Sioux Valve and seat grinder, various early Billings, Williams, Bog, S-K, Snap-On, Herbrand, Mossberg, Walden-Worcester fixed and removable-socket, curved wrenches, etc.
I overpaid for a correct-period factory-made workbench (the industrial look is IN), bought period lamp reflectors for hanging lamps, recreated my versions of early "kits" that contain sets of tools, purchased early automotive electric test equipment, found and bought very early engine machining equipment that includes "crankpin reconditioners", non-motorized cylinder boring sets, babbit bearing scrapers,
pullers of all kinds, bearing seperators.
Of course I bought a hand-operated early post drill, one-legged vise, flat-belt-driven drill press, lathe and two early flat-belt-driven grinders, a very early FA Nugier hand-operated press.
I paid too much for cast iron legs that I could use for another workbench, paid very little for a "drum doctor" brake lathe, paid too much for a an early Bowzer Gas Boy mobile fuel dispenser, an early parts cleaning barrel, etc.
Of course any number of antique tool boxes and displays both wooden and metal showed up, magically.
I'm beginning to think I'm rounding the corner on the purchasing part of my Dream Antique Repair Shop and then I find THIS:
DIERK'S GARAGE
Dierk's Garage was an old-time blacksmith/machine/automotive repair shop. It's a step back in time.
It's like a museum. Line-shafts to drive ancient machine tools still decorate the ceiling. There's a forge in the corner alongside a Little Giant Power Hammer. A huge shear hugs the dirt floor. A floor-to-ceiling metal belt guard covers the grinder drive belt. In another corner is an early drill press, two lathes and an old hydraulic press.
I only got to spend about five minutes in the "museum". It's all for sale! There's no telling what else is hiding...
Looks like I'm taking out a loan...that is...if the owner and I can agree on price.
It's somewhere between $2k and $20k. Those appear to be the parameters. Price of junk metal has risen from about $60/ton to about $240/ton. Now I'll have to fight the junkers for this stuff, too.
I've got the MOVE covered, though, when and if the time comes.
Please keep in mind that besides this potential purchase most of this early "unusable junk" is inexpensive. Otherwise, I'd be out of the game before I started. You can make up a fairly representative set of early Walden-Worcester fixed-socket wrenches (for example) for common early cars for just a couple hundred dollars, total. Try THAT with early Snap-On sets.
I forgot to mention my two 90-year-old Dudley bicycle/motorcycle wheel truing stands, complete with three sizes of spoke wrenches. My beat-up old Harley-Davidson wheels will look great in them.
Attachments
image.jpg
One of these sold for just $25 at a recent auction, here. This is not necessarily a rich man's hobby.
image.jpg
That's a huge pedestal mount grinder with the belt guard from Hell on it.
image.jpg
Got my attention!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Dierk's Garage

So, you are trying to buy it all?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:39 am

I'd like to save the oldest pieces in the group, yes. It's local history that you can make stuff with. Although I'll need blacksmithing lessons for sure...
My sons-in-law have caught the sword and knife-making bug. I think the power hammer would be a step up from banging things on an anvil.
I noticed some old signs in there, too. It just all needs to be saved.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am

The Camelback drillpress looks like my WF and John Barnes #22. I paid $900usd. I bought this drill press from the great grandson of the original owner who bought this big Camelback in 1883. I have it as a working antique. I will post a picture later.
I did buy a second Camelback in Merritt, BC. I am the third owner of this Camelback. The second owner bought it in Seattle in the 1930s. I Googled the name on the bronze tag and discovered the machine tool company was still in business. The 93 year old owner has a record of the sale.
This Camelback is a HOEFER from 1897. I paid less than half the WF and John Barnes price for it. The HOEFER is smaller at about 18". It has been fully restored and has yet to be "pressed into service".
Both Camelbacks are flat belt drive from a cone pulley mounted on the base. The cone pulley on each Camelback are double segment " V" belt driven from a hidden Baldor motor.
The WF and John Barnes is for sale @ $1500. The WF weighs about 1000 pounds and is about 6'4" tall.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

You do nice work, Nikki!

The pictures shown below are from the interior of my family's former living quarters, a converted 1910 barn. It's slowly being changed back to a barn/shop. It has a cement floor, now. Yaay. We built a NEW house on the same property a few years ago. Also, yay!
Attachments
image.jpg
These are vintage front end specialty tools that most likely wouldn't get used very much, now
image.jpg
I admit I spent money on that workbench. Ebay and auctions account for 95% of my purchases.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Camelback pictures I found a picture of a small bench-top drillpress. I bought this one from a retired engraver in Victoria, BC. It was $100. I made a new pulley for the motor. I was able to find an early 1900s General Electric, motor on Craigslist. This motor was original hung under a washing-machine. I flipped the motor over and reversed the wick type oilers, then milled off part of the original base, polished the armature and reassembled.
Attachments
Engravers drillpress Modified motor base.jpg
engravers DP home-made pulley for round leather belt.jpg
Engraver drill press GE motor before.jpg
ENGRAVERS DRILL PRESS.jpg
engravers drillpress
HOEFER CAMELBACK.jpg
HOEFER
WF AND J BARNES SIDE TOOL TRAY.jpg
WF and John Barnes
CANEDY OTTO RESTORED 1.jpg
Cannedy Otto bench drillpress
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Here's the vibe I'm trying to replicate:
This is an 1920s Ford Dealership view. The interior seems identical to the 1920s Ford Dealership I worked at in Dinuba, CA. during the 1990s.
I suspect these 1920s Ford Dealerships were built after a pattern:
Curved roofs with lots of wooden trusses. Multi-pane large windows. Boiler-fed heated cement floors. Two or more in-floor lifts. Single post and two-post.
Showroom on one end with offices adjacent.
Attachments
image.jpg
Looks identical to our Kern St. Dinuba shop, minus vintage equipment, stock and vehicle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am

Model T Ford frame workbench, in it's early stages.
I'll use Model T fenders and other Model T stuff to finish off.
Attachments
image.jpg
Old-growth redwood 4x4 legs. Pallet sleepers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 pm

More slats on the Model T frame workbench project.
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 pm

One stretcher in place...
Attachments
image.jpg
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion